A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

brake questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake questions

does anyone know if there is a way to determine what front rotor offset your car initially came with? a few years ago i got the stoptech brake upgrade package with slotted rotors, pads, etc. i'm wondering if they gave me rotors with the incorrect offset, i only wonder as my front wheels which are 35 offset, need 20mm spacers to clear the calipers, in theory 15 mm spacers should allow them to clear. would the rotor offset affect this clearance? can either rotor offset be used on the car? i've been waiting a few years for the pads to wear down enough so i could use my 15mm spacers, but they haven't yet - i'll see today when i change wheels seeing as spring is here. unfortunately i was never able to compare the original rotors with the new, so i may never know. i'll measure the rotors today and try and figure it out. plus the slotted rotors have to go, they shudder too much at high speed braking, it's like hitting a rumble strip. my mechanic thinks they may have originally been installed backwards, he said he's have to look at the vein orientation to determine. are left and right rotors not interchangeable? if not, you'd think they'd put some sort of identifying mark on them. thanks for any input you might have
Old 03-21-2010, 03:38 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

In most cases, the caliper dictates rotor offset. If you want to alter rotor offset, you'll have to remachine the caliper brackets.

The code the identifies the original brakes in on the trunk sticker, but that is useless info unless you are looking to go back to stock brakes. Your best bet is to buy wheels that don't require spacers.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

well i'm stuck with the wheels (i was obviously misinformed on offset when i bought them years ago), but a 35 offset wheel and 15mm spacers should in theory clear the calipers - i tried them on saturday and there was maybe 1/2 mm of clearance, but i didn't feel that was adequate clearance, so i put the 20's in front, hopefully next year the pads will wear down enough so i can go back to 15's.

but back to the brakes, i'm thinking of going back to stock rotors because the slots - although cool looking, really hamper the driving experience, especially when i have to come to a stop or slow down from highway speed, the whole car just shakes like hell. could the rotors being installed backwards cause that? - not sure if they are or not. Stoptech said i should try sanding the rotors with 60 grit sandpaper and that might fix it, i haven't done that yet, but could that possibly help?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same problem with the slotted rotors on my 4.2. It felt like you were driving on the rumble strip when you hit the brakes. The problem just showed up one day. Now I have Factory parts, nice and smooth.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds more like a warping issue to me. I've got stock pads, but it looks like they are even chamfered for smooth engagement or something. Maybe yours are worn down past the chamfer and so they are chattering, but I'm still thinking warping. My bike (06 1000rr) has drilled rotors front and rear and you never get any feedback through the lever, let alone the bike itself.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

if they are warped, would i get chattering at low speed braking? with around town driving, it's pretty normal with little or no chattering, but if i were to brake on the highway to slow down quickly, it would feel like driving on cobblestones at high speed
Old 03-22-2010, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine was only above 45 mph. I think maybe they were wore down beyond the chamfer. I have had other cars with warped rotors and they will pulsated at any speed.