A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Brake Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Replacement

So I'm planning on replacing the pads and rotors on my 2000 audi a6 2.7T. I posted a few weeks back asking for some tips. Recently I removed the front wheel and measured my rotors. They are 321 mm x 30 mm with an ~17mm hat height. I have the lucas hp2 calipers. I would like to put ceramic pads on this car as I'm really sick of dealing with the dust. My only issue is finding a set that works. I found these pads from akebono (Akebono EUR839)on some sites, while others say they do not fit my car. Can anyone confirm if these will fit? Also does anyone know if these have the oval shaped wear sensor or the elongated D shape?

I also have a question about the rotor replacement. Does anyone have any links to a guide on the removal of this caliper? I found this link regarding the pad change for an hp2 caliper from an a8
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...rakestwin.html
I just cannot figure out how to remove the caliper. In the guide detailing the brake system I found online here
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/C5...akeSystems.pdf
It seems like the bold labeled 5 on page 37 is responsible for holding the caliper in position. Does anyone know what the head size of this bolt is?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is those two large ribbed bolts (#5 in the dwg)

Had mine off a week ago & the hardline is in the way of the top bolt. If you remove #10 on that same diagram you can get some more play.

Can't recall the size of the bolt head. 20-something (21?) MM?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NJA642
It is those two large ribbed bolts (#5 in the dwg)

Had mine off a week ago & the hardline is in the way of the top bolt. If you remove #10 on that same diagram you can get some more play.

Can't recall the size of the bolt head. 20-something (21?) MM?
That's good to know. I was wondering if it was an allen head like the 7mm ones on the other a6s. It explains why mine doesn't fit.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default HP-2 Calipers

Originally Posted by slabsquathrust
That's good to know. I was wondering if it was an allen head like the 7mm ones on the other a6s. It explains why mine doesn't fit.
I would like to ask why are you removing the calipers. Are you changing pads and rotors? Be real carful of the rubber slide boots and pins. If you tare amy of the rubber, the caliper will have to be replaced. You can not get a rebuild kit for the slid pins and the center acording boot. I am working with a tech from tolyn on some brass bushing.

Ron
Old 03-19-2012, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The bolts are not behind the pins on the caliper, but rather to the spindle. They are standard hex head bolts. I think 19mm, but not sure. The trick is to turn the wheels to get room for an 18" breaker bar and a short extension. Follow NJA642's good tip on loosening the hard line bracket.

The bolts are tight, so wear gloves so you don't draw blood when the socket slips off the bolt head.

If the rotors are in decent shape and you're not getting any pulsation when braking, I would just throw on the pads. Pads only take a few minutes(after you have the car jacked and wheel off), since you don't have to pull the caliper. IMO Audi's minumum rotor thickness specs are overly conservative, unless you're tracking the car.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

They are the right configuration for HP2. You should LOOK at your own brake sensor connector configuration to determine if you have D or oval. It's probably D-shaped, but you never know. Your dealer MIGHT know from your VIN.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by watauga2.7T
I would like to ask why are you removing the calipers. Are you changing pads and rotors? Be real carful of the rubber slide boots and pins. If you tare amy of the rubber, the caliper will have to be replaced. You can not get a rebuild kit for the slid pins and the center acording boot. I am working with a tech from tolyn on some brass bushing.

Ron
The plan was to replace the pads and rotors. The current ones have quite a lip on them. Most auto shops wanted 200 dollars an axle just to turn the rotors an throw new pads on em. That was without labor and I didn't mention that this is the 8 pad version so I could only imagine it would be more based on the prices I have seen. When you refer to the rubber slide boots are you talking about the little rubber ring around the outside of the bolts position?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by johnkk
The bolts are not behind the pins on the caliper, but rather to the spindle. They are standard hex head bolts. I think 19mm, but not sure. The trick is to turn the wheels to get room for an 18" breaker bar and a short extension. Follow NJA642's good tip on loosening the hard line bracket.

The bolts are tight, so wear gloves so you don't draw blood when the socket slips off the bolt head.

If the rotors are in decent shape and you're not getting any pulsation when braking, I would just throw on the pads. Pads only take a few minutes(after you have the car jacked and wheel off), since you don't have to pull the caliper. IMO Audi's minumum rotor thickness specs are overly conservative, unless you're tracking the car.
Yeah if that repair manual is correct they are torqued to 190 Nm. I think Audi says the discard thickness is 28 mm and the initial is 30mm. Although as I mentioned before the it does have a bit of a lip on it. I will probably take the wheel off tomorrow morning and if I do I'll snap a few pictures to share.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
They are the right configuration for HP2. You should LOOK at your own brake sensor connector configuration to determine if you have D or oval. It's probably D-shaped, but you never know. Your dealer MIGHT know from your VIN.
Yeah i did some looking at work today and found that the 2000 s4's were equipped with the same brake system up front as the a6. I ordered those pads from amazon. I had removed the pad last night to check that sensor plug and I have the elongated D shape one. From the pictures online it appears those pads are the same. I'll post updates.

Thanks again for all the help I've received.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

If the lips bother you just knock them off with an angle grinder. EZ with the caliper off, but wala, now you don't have to take the caliper off!

And if you don't grind off the lip, you'll just have that much more warning your pads are thin next time before the warning light hits. The backs as well; there is no warning light on them.

Quick Reply: Brake Replacement