A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Brakes Going for it.....but hesitant..need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Going for it.....but hesitant..need advice.

WEll, dealer says time for new brake pads....but I said no thanks.

I want to upgrade within reason(unless someone wants to buy me some Brembo's????

So, Here is what I am looking for.

A8 sized rotors - right now I am thinking either DB or Zimmerman. Suggerstions encouraged!!!

TT Mounting Bracket(per AW Tech article)

PADS - greenstuff, I do not do track days, this is just a car for me(although I love it to death and drive the heck out of it). Again, other suggestions welcomed!!!

HAs anyone ever experienced more solid braking by getting better brake lines? I spoke to PES and Collin suggested that metal braided do not flex and give more constant pressure to the brakes, where rubber expands. I want to do this too, but need to be convinced.

REAR BRAKES - since I read that you have to get S4 calipers to make the A8 upgrade work, I think I am staying stock sized but with rotor and pad upgrade. CARBONLORD, are you satisfied with yours???

Thanks guys/gals, I know this is a long post but I have grown to trust your judegemnt. I have searched the posts but I am looking for the most current opinions.

TIA for any reco's and Stoney's FAQ Rocks!!!

Double B
Old 09-18-2003, 09:06 AM

Default Go with Brembo or Mov' It for the front and for the rear ..

just get some OEM Rotors custom drilled or slotted and add stainless lines with new pads. Also, get G2 and paint the rear calipers the same color as chosen for the front kit.

I know you said Brembos were too much, but they are very nice. For the fronts, StopTech is an option as well.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:09 AM
Elder Member

Default These people might be some help.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.stoptech.com/">Stop on a dime?</a></li></ul>
Old 09-18-2003, 10:17 AM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Love my Stoptechs!
Old 09-18-2003, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You Guys are missing the point,....

I would love those, but, I need to stay in a somewhat OEM Budget, and gain asthetics and a little performance.

Wish I could go Brembo, Movit or Stop Tech, or hell...Poooorsche
Old 09-18-2003, 12:06 PM

Default I do get carried away at times ...

More to your original point:

FOr the front, I would go with DBA rotors and Mintex pads and Goodridge or StopTech stainless lines.

For the Rear, I would reccomend getting a set of new OEM rear rotors and having a perfomance shop do some custom drilling or slotting. Pads again would be Mintex. Get Goodridge or StopTech stainless lines.

Finally, use G2 to paint your calipers (Red or Black is best) and put some better brake fluid in the system.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thats why they call you CRAZY :-) & thanks for the advice....

Mintex vs EBC??? Why Mintex?
Old 09-18-2003, 12:15 PM

Default Thanks, 8 - )

In my opinion Mintex "bites" better than the EBC pads after heavy brake use. I believe the Mintex pads handle higher heat temps better than the EBC product.

Also, I feel like the Mintex respond better when "cold".

Get Mintex "Red Box"
Old 09-18-2003, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default here goes

I'm not sure what size rotors your car has, but you may as well just switch to the HP-2 brake hardware from an older 2.7T or 4.2. It is 321mm, while the Euro S8 is 323mm. You'll never notice the difference.

I wouldn't recommend the EBC green pads. They have exceptional heat tolerance, but deposited very badly on my rotors. Mintex Red Box seem to get the nod around here.

And SS brake lines... They make NO difference, period. There has been internal tests done here at work looking at functionality between them and stock. There is no change in pedal feel or responsiveness. They are more durable and if you need new lines on an old car, by all means, but on a newer car there will be no improvement.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche calipers are cheaper than you think.

I paid $250 a caliper for 996 monoblocs. They aren't the turbo version, but still a ton of caliper for the money.

Quick Reply: Brakes Going for it.....but hesitant..need advice.