A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Broken rollover valve on gas tank - $2500!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken rollover valve on gas tank - $2500!

Long story but here's the cliff note version. Recently I filled up my tank and after doing so had a very strong smell of gas in the cabin. I took it to an independent mechanic and he told me that I have a broken rollover valve. The rollover valve is located on the top of the tank on the front driver side. To fix it will cost $2500 ($1500 for the tank and $1000 for labor). I've already validated from several sources this cost is accurate. It is a 10+ hour job as the tank sits on top of the wheel assembly. If the cost isn't enough of a stinker I found out there is a recall to reinforce the valve with epoxy bond. So this was a known potential problem! Unfortunately the recall is for 2001-2004 models and mine is a 2000. I've been told that the 2000 has the exact same tank/valve so why car wasn't included is unknown (I've asked Audi and just get run around answers). I next contacted Audi customer service to get a case # established in hope that they'd take some kind of responsibility. They created the case but told me until the issue is verified by an Audi dealer that they can't do anything. I asked if I do that and that the dealer verifies the issue what I can expect. They told me there are no guarantees. This is point of contention #2 (#1 being excluded from the recall). Why can't they tell me what might be done IF the dealer validates the issue? So, I called the dealer and they said they might be able to identify the issue with a boroscope which will cost $109 + tax. If they can't they'd need to drop the assembly to get to the tank. If it comes to dropping the assembly then I'm out. The labor to do so would be costly with no guarantees that anything would come of it.

So...my questions to my esteemed Audi owners are:
1) Would you spend another $109+ just to take it back to Audi Customer Service and see what they might do? If I don't I'd have to call it quits and sell my beloved Audi, get a new car and deal with car payments. I don't want to invest $2500 into a 13 year old car. The repair is more than the blue book.
2) Do I have any other options/recourse?

P.S. If it matters the car has been well maintained, has no other known issues and has 169,000 miles.

Thanks for all the advice/input.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fire Bad!

Take it to the dealership, pay the price, expect surprises and give AOA some hell.

Your tank might be the steel version like my 01 that did not need the ROV recall.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

didn't i read somewhere that it can be repaired by going through access behind or underneath the rear seats ?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Airbag, I do know that my 04 had the ROV recall back in 08, they had to drop the tank to do the the mod/repair and it stayed ovenight with 10hrs billed to Audi.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jcman
Airbag, I do know that my 04 had the ROV recall back in 08, they had to drop the tank to do the the mod/repair and it stayed ovenight with 10hrs billed to Audi.
wow... maybe thats just how imagined id do it then. i found the sticky on this the op should read.
its on the audiforums forum for a6.

Last edited by Airbag; 03-14-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default D2 maybe C5 nope

The thing is you can't do the repair through the fuel pump access plate, not even close to the area.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Of course anything is possible.....

....with a sheet metal nibble cutter and brand new metal plate, no one see's it and nobody knows, He He.

Last edited by jcman; 03-14-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jcman
....with a sheet metal nibble cutter and brand new metal plate, no one see's it and nobody knows, He He.
thats Exactly what i would be thinking. you could even weld a plate back in from the inside .

911 torsion tubes are repaired this way. a hole through the back cut for access then rewelded
Old 03-14-2013, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I heard of guys doing this with cargo vans also for a fuel pump R&R, of course I had to just break my back and drop the tank on the last cargo Astro I had a few years ago, I guess you do what you have to do sometimes.

Last edited by jcman; 03-14-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag
wow... maybe thats just how imagined id do it then. i found the sticky on this the op should read.
its on the audiforums forum for a6.
I did a quick search but couldn't find. I'll look again. I did find this nice post (w/ pictures) that shows a broken valve someone else repaired with epoxy. My borken valve is the one with a blue circle in his picture. I'm not real keen on this solution as I not sure it addresses the issue & I would think would be prone to happening again.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/89963.phtml

Quick Reply: Broken rollover valve on gas tank - $2500!