A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Broken rollover valve on gas tank - $2500!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy on HDPE

Originally Posted by rwish
This is an old post but I thought I'd update with the latest news in case someone else with a similar problem stumbles across this thread.

I had the epoxy patch done in March for a cost of $375. Earlier this week (October) I filled up the tank and the tell tale symptom of gas in the cabin is back. This is under warranty for 12 months or 12k miles so I took it to the dealership and they confirmed it is the same issue as last time but that they could not patch it again. To do so they'd need to get the old epoxy off and in doing so they say will rip the valve off causing a larger issue. They said the only resolution now is to replace the tank for $3,000. The statement that the patch was under warranty is really a snow job since they know that it can't be re-applied a second time.

My only two options left are put $3k into a 12 year old car with 172k miles or move on. Sadly I've decided to move on as that is too much money for a car this old IMO. I still claim that Audi isn't taking responsibility for this issue given that the 2001-2004 models have the EXACT same issue with the EXACT same parts but my 2000 model isn't included in the recall. I've put in all the complaints that I could and seem to have lost the good fight.

P.S. The dealership told me that I could keep driving it but to only fill up the tank to 1/2 way since the valve is at the top of the tank. While doing so seems to eliminate the smell of gas I'm thinking this is not a wise/safe option given that there is a crack in the valve allowing gas vapors to escape which are obviously flammable.
Sorry to hear about you gas tank problem. When the dealer used epoxy on it he failed. Epoxy only sticks to HDPE it does not bond. That's why glue bottles are made out of HDPE (high density polyethylene) They should have used a product made by this company. http://tech-bond.net/Master_Page.html I used some of their stuff on a hole in the gas tank on my A-6 and it was impossible to remove. I had to use a piece of HDPE from a jug of bug killer for the patch and it was sort of plastic welding. Too late for you but maybe someone can take note.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default I still say take AoA to small claims court

This is an old post but I thought I'd update with the latest news in case someone else with a similar problem stumbles across this thread.

I had the epoxy patch done in March for a cost of $375. Earlier this week (October) I filled up the tank and the tell tale symptom of gas in the cabin is back. This is under warranty for 12 months or 12k miles so I took it to the dealership and they confirmed it is the same issue as last time but that they could not patch it again. To do so they'd need to get the old epoxy off and in doing so they say will rip the valve off causing a larger issue. They said the only resolution now is to replace the tank for $3,000. The statement that the patch was under warranty is really a snow job since they know that it can't be re-applied a second time.

My only two options left are put $3k into a 12 year old car with 172k miles or move on. Sadly I've decided to move on as that is too much money for a car this old IMO. I still claim that Audi isn't taking responsibility for this issue given that the 2001-2004 models have the EXACT same issue with the EXACT same parts but my 2000 model isn't included in the recall. I've put in all the complaints that I could and seem to have lost the good fight.

P.S. The dealership told me that I could keep driving it but to only fill up the tank to 1/2 way since the valve is at the top of the tank. While doing so seems to eliminate the smell of gas I'm thinking this is not a wise/safe option given that there is a crack in the valve allowing gas vapors to escape which are obviously flammable.

It's clearly a design defect, especially with a tank replacement.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

so .. um .. er ..... you parting it out ?

Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't give up just yet! This weekend an access panel was cut to access the faulty rollover valve. The first thing I noticed was the black collar around the assembly. I didn't see this in any other posts from others who have attempted to repair on their own. My guess is that this was added by the dealership to act as a reservoir for the epoxy. The epoxy looks like black silly sting and has the consistency of hard rubber. This is where we stopped to give it more thought. The trick to repair is to get the first black epoxy out and then decide what other method/substance to use to seal the valve.
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

I haven't give up just yet! This weekend an access panel was cut to access the faulty rollover valve. The first thing I noticed was the black collar around the assembly. I didn't see this in any other posts from others who have attempted to repair on their own. My guess is that this was added by the dealership to act as a reservoir for the epoxy. The epoxy looks like black silly sting and has the consistency of hard rubber. This is where we stopped to give it more thought. The trick to repair is to get the first black epoxy out and then decide what other method/substance to use to seal the valve.
This looks like the warranty gas tank repair….can you show this to the dealer and perhaps get them to redo the repair? Get Audi North America involved since it's apparent the repair didn't work? You can also file a complaint with NHTSA.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
This looks like the warranty gas tank repair….can you show this to the dealer and perhaps get them to redo the repair? Get Audi North America involved since it's apparent the repair didn't work? You can also file a complaint with NHTSA.
This is the warranty gas tank repair but I had to pay for it (because my car is a 2000 and outside the recall) and they won't honor the warranty. They say that to redo it would require them to first remove the old job which would likely damage the gas tank. My response was basically "Not my problem. I paid for a repair and was told this is under 12 month/12k warranty." They responded that this repair came with no guarantees. I don't understand how a repair that is warrantied comes with no guarantees.

I already put in a complaint with the NHTSA back when this all started in March claiming since my 2000 has the exact same issue, tank and parts as the 2001-2004 models that it Audi should fix it. I've also tried to talk to Audi USA (to no avail) and put in a complaint.

Where I'm at now is trying to fix it myself and asking the local dealership to refund my money from the failed patch. I've sent a letter to the dealership explaining my situation and told them that if I'm not refunded for the amount of the repair my first move will be to the State of Ohio Attorney General and my second will be small claims court. I am awaiting a response.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

If anyone knows the name of the 3M compound used in the picture above I would very much appreciate the input. I talked to the shop foreman who told me it was a 3m compound but that he didn't know the name or part number. How does the shop foreman not know that info?!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

If anyone knows the name of the 3M compound used in the picture above I would very much appreciate the input. I talked to the shop foreman who told me it was a 3m compound but that he didn't know the name or part number. How does the shop foreman not know that info?!
FYI...I found it and in case anyone else needs to know the product is 3M Scotch-Weld DP-8005 (Black) two-part structural plastic adhesive: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...7PZ0dOZ9Tfwvrf dv_IwUTfwUTfTTTTTT--
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

you gonna try to redo the fix ?

this should be interesting if you are

Good luck ..
Old 11-26-2013, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
you gonna try to redo the fix ?

this should be interesting if you are

Good luck ..
I am. At this point I figure I have nothing to lose. I have the access panel cut under the rear seat so just need to figure out how to remove the previous attempt and apply another compound. Regardless of how it turns out I'll report back.

Quick Reply: Broken rollover valve on gas tank - $2500!