A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

broken timing belt or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default broken timing belt or something else?

So I just bought a 2001 A6 2.7t MT for 1800$ and it supposedly has a broken timing belt. However, no-one ever took anything apart to look. The engine compartment is untouched and the story is that the previous owner "heard the timing belt break" and that all it would do is click when you turned the key. Supposedly when it "broke" he had it towed to a dealership (not an Audi one either I don't believe) and traded it in. Initially when I heard this, I thought, OMG I might have just gotten a totally sweet deal as I paid less than 2k for this car with only 118k and its in great shape!

Well, I got the car home last night and the battery was dead so I charged it all night. I also pulled the following codes last night after a partial charge.

Code:
Chassis Type: 4B - Audi A6 C5
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,35,36,37,45,55,56

Address 01     -------------------------------------------------------
   Controller: 4B0 907 551 AA 
   Component: 2.7l V6/5VT     G   0001
   Coding: 06712
   Shop #: WSC 02325
   WAUED64BX1N073385     AUZ7Z0Y1627114
9 Faults Found:
17866 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 2 (G236): Short to Ground
            P1458 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17861 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Open or Short to Plus
            P1453 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16502 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Signal too High
            P0118 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17870 - Exhaust Gas Temp Regulation for Bank 2: Implausible Signal
            P1462 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16826 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Small Leak
            P0442 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17869 - Exhaust Gas Temp Regulation for Bank 1: Implausible Signal
            P1461 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16730 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G163): Implausible Signal
            P0346 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16725 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal
            P0341 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
            P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000
The only thing that made me think perhaps it actually is the timing belt is the two camshaft pos sensor faults.

I cleared those and then let it charge the night. I got up and like a little kid at xmas, I couldn't wait till I got home from work so at 5am I turned the key and the engine turns over. No clicking. No banging. I checked the codes again and again I got the two cam pos errors.

Code:
Control Module Part Number: 4B0 907 551 AA 
  Component and/or Version: 2.7l V6/5VT     G   0001
           Software Coding: 06712
            Work Shop Code: WSC 02325
           Additional Info: WAUED64BX1N073385     AUZ7Z0Y1627114
2 Faults Found:
17800 - Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163): Open Short to Plus
        P1392 - 35-00 - -
17746 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) Open or Short to Plus
        P1338 - 35-00 - -
It didn't seem to catch, but I didn't have time to check other things like fuel, ect ect. So while I have all day to think about it, I figured I would post my results and see what the consensus is. If you had a broken timing belt, what codes would you normally expect to pull when turning the motor over?

When I get home tonight I will check plugs, wires, look for unplugged stuff and check compression which should tell me for certain.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me that the easiest way to check for a broken timing belt would be to pull off one of the timing belt covers and look to see if the thing is in one piece as a starting point vs. pulling codes.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Camshaft sensors will prevent the car from starting if they are disconnected. All those other codes are intermittent - a bunch of crap has been unplugged and the ignition cycled, which stored them.

Look at the camshaft hall sensors, source some other sensors and swap them to see if they are bad, and then start getting into wiring.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redneck Truck
Camshaft sensors will prevent the car from starting if they are disconnected. All those other codes are intermittent - a bunch of crap has been unplugged and the ignition cycled, which stored them.

Look at the camshaft hall sensors, source some other sensors and swap them to see if they are bad, and then start getting into wiring.
So would you say based purely on my 4th hand story and the code printouts that its not a broken timing belt?

I am just speculating right now because I am at work and so I have multiple hours to wait to get home before taking covers off and looking at things physically and I'm impatient heh .
Old 07-30-2010, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you turned it over a whole lot and you didn't get "camshaft sensor implausible signal" or something, thats a good sign. If you didn't get any noise, that's a good sign. I'd certainly pull the covers and even the core support off and inspect the hell out of everything before I drive it, but as for guessing it's good, the best I can do is hope. If you pull the covers off and set the crank pulley to TDC (very easy with just a wrench), you can tell very quickly if the timing is right.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redneck Truck
If you turned it over a whole lot and you didn't get "camshaft sensor implausible signal" or something, thats a good sign. If you didn't get any noise, that's a good sign. I'd certainly pull the covers and even the core support off and inspect the hell out of everything before I drive it, but as for guessing it's good, the best I can do is hope. If you pull the covers off and set the crank pulley to TDC (very easy with just a wrench), you can tell very quickly if the timing is right.
Yep thats the plan this afternoon. Service position, pull some covers, turn motor to TDC by hand verify belt position and go from there. Speaking with dad, he suggests that perhaps the belt just jumped a couple teeth and depending on how far, its possible there is no damage other than a bad belt.

I shall post this afternoon once I know more. I should post some pics of my find as well.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

O come on! It takes about 15 seconds to determine a broken timing belt...take off the engine covers and pop two of the three clips on the pax side cam gear cover (plastic, don't pop the bottom one, two difficult anyway), flex the cam gear cover to the front, and LOOK at the belt! If it's tight, it ain't broken!!

But too late...you've already spun the engine over...I guarantee if you spin an interference engine over with a broken timing belt you will bend valves!

So, my take on it is that you don't have a broken timing belt.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
O come on! It takes about 15 seconds to determine a broken timing belt...take off the engine covers and pop two of the three clips on the pax side cam gear cover (plastic, don't pop the bottom one, two difficult anyway), flex the cam gear cover to the front, and LOOK at the belt! If it's tight, it ain't broken!!

But too late...you've already spun the engine over...I guarantee if you spin an interference engine over with a broken timing belt you will bend valves!

So, my take on it is that you don't have a broken timing belt.
Will know in a few hours when I get home. Pulling it apart isnt hard, I was just trying to come up with plausible explainations based on what I have seen/done already. In other words, I'm impatient and am just speculating without being able to check things till later. All of us gearheads would do something similar I'm sure...

I'll have the covers off and checking the belt about 5 minutes after I get home this afternoon. Then I will either be extremely pleased at not having to spend significant $$$ to get this thing running or I'll be figuring out how much I will be spending and still be happy I got the car.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

oh and I have BTDT with interference engines before on the I5 10v turbo motor...
Old 07-31-2010, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

So its definately a bad timing belt belt. Its not broken, but the teeth are stripped off the belt and neither camshaft will smoothly rotate by hand with the motor in TDC.

So I am pulling the motor and will evaluate the condition of the heads once its out.

Quick Reply: broken timing belt or something else?