A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

burning rubber or hot rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning rubber or hot rubber?

so i got a whiff of strong burning rubber smell the other day during a quick trip to the gas station.

car was not driven all day and was only driven a total of 1 mile t and from the gas station. i opened the hood and i could smeel a burning odor, specifically like rubber, maybe a little bit of oil. i tried to look for smoke but could not find any. at first i was afraid of the timing belt (replaced by me at 75-80K; i know im bad for not remembering which one!) but the smell was not coming form the front of the motor, it seemed to be originating from the top/middle/rear of the engine.

the car just hit 90K and im wondering what this could be? did highway to and from work today with no burning smell so now im really courious as to whether i should be driving or not.

also is there a way to quickly take a peak at the timing belt that is not labor intensive?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
so i got a whiff of strong burning rubber smell the other day during a quick trip to the gas station.

car was not driven all day and was only driven a total of 1 mile t and from the gas station. i opened the hood and i could smeel a burning odor, specifically like rubber, maybe a little bit of oil. i tried to look for smoke but could not find any. at first i was afraid of the timing belt (replaced by me at 75-80K; i know im bad for not remembering which one!) but the smell was not coming form the front of the motor, it seemed to be originating from the top/middle/rear of the engine.

the car just hit 90K and im wondering what this could be? did highway to and from work today with no burning smell so now im really courious as to whether i should be driving or not.

also is there a way to quickly take a peak at the timing belt that is not labor intensive?
On the 2.7 the only i know of peeking at the belt is by removing the inlets from the throttle body boot to the bottom leading to the turbo. And after that you have to remove the plastic protecting the timing belt with some torx bolts.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I had the same experience last year

And it turned out to be a torn CV boot flinging the grease on a manifold hot spot then the rims showed grease after a few days then the real fun pinch bolt and so on.