A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Buyers beware. poor service/quality from Hartmann Wheels- B7 RS4

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyers beware. poor service/quality from Hartmann Wheels- B7 RS4

i'm posting not to bash bill or his business of selling replicas, but to pass along the negative side of being penny wise. i bought a set of the B7 RS4 replicas for the S6 in april or may, and 700 miles later 3 of 4 are bent...according to the dealer. buying knock-off rims this time around hasn't saved, but cost me time and money. don't let this happen to you. my claim is that these/this batch of wheels simply suck. maybe this batch is weak? maybe this design is weak? bill at hartmann claims his rims are tougher (read, better?) than oem factory wheels. he says factory wheels are designed model/curb weight specific- where his are designed for anything at any reasonable weight. i have to believe the s6 is within the weight considerations of his wheels. the problem i have is that after 28,000 miles, my factory wheels with winter rubber and driven in snow and pothole infested roads are fine. my new hartmanns are driven in fair weather on reasonably smooth suburban streets and highways.

these wheels are bent with absolutely NO damage to the tires, the aluminum suspension, or visable damage to the rim itself. is it possible i hit a pothole so big that it bent 3, but not 4 rims- and didn't cause ANY other damage? i suppose. is it likely? sorry, but no. whatever driving event caused this to happen then seems well within durability expectations. all of this being said, buying from a rip-off supplier also hurts in that they have no real reason for addressing problems like this. what do they care? there will always be more than enough of use who can't afford $400+/wheel for BBS or OEM. i suggest that those on the fence go with a quality product. there is a reason why hartmann wheels are 1/2-1/3 the cost of factory oem. the factory can't afford to have a few hundred thousand cars rolling around on soft wheels for obvious reasons. for those who can't afford oem, best wishes and good luck.

also- bill informed me that a large part of his business is with dealers looking to replace rims in order to certify used cars- lord help us. keep an eye out when shopping for a used audi/vw for replica rims.

my dealer has reported numerous problems from customers with replicas as well- but this is just my experience. perhaps other types of replicas (even hartmann) are better.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Buyers beware. poor service/quality from Hartmann Wheels- B7 RS4

to be fair, i forgot to mention that bill offered a new set at a discounted rate of $600 for the set ($1000 new). he withdrew the offer after i mentioned reading of other problems on audiworld.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:08 PM

Default How could you question the beloved Hartmann wheels?!

You should've seen the AW reaction when I've questioned the price premium of their wheels compared to replicas on ebay.

Interestingly enough, the only numbers that the company was finally able to reveal was wheel weights. No test results, nothing that would support their quality claims.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Fear the Miata!

how did you pay for these wheels?.....you can dispute the transaction if you paid by credit card....
Old 08-03-2006, 03:30 PM

Default For the (mechanical) record... what size wheels, and what tires did you mount on them?

Curious if you were running the 19's, or another size.

I've had my own personal disappointments with 'high-quality' replicas -- orange peel, fisheyes, and blemishes in the paint, rough castings, and so on.

Plus little things not so apparent -- RS4-style wheels that 'use the factory center cap' but don't have the factory index moldings for them, so the cap is loose as a kid's front tooth.

So, for me it's original equipment for OEM-style wheels. And eBay can be your best friend, as long as you're careful and patient.

No knocks here for Bill or Hartmann from me (he responded above and beyond when I had an issue), but It's still mostly true: YGWYPF.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Sorry about your problems, but you're definitely in the minority....

There are many here, myself included, that have had excellent experiences with Hartmann and their products. I've got 2 sets of DTMs - 1 summer and 1 winter. The winters in particular, take a lot of abuse every year with no problems. Granted, this is a different wheel than yours. But I use this as an example of the feedback that most on the AW forums will provide.

As mentioned before, I'm sorry for your problems and hope that you reach an equitable resolution. But I also have to add that, IMO, using your first 3 posts on AW to bash a well respected supplier and forum supporter is not a good introduction to the community.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My RS4 wheels have held up very well - and I got one of the first sets shipped. Of course the A3

isn't as heavy as your car, but we have some nasty roads here and I have to watch and make sure my tire pressures are high enough to offer some protection.

Bill was very prompt in keeping me updated, and followed up after the sale.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be fair..His language has been very mild and "bashing" is a very strong word
Old 08-03-2006, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I would imagine that the design of the wheel itself would lend to your problem...

those are some skinny spokes on those rims, and I wonder if even the OEM versions would be able to support the gerth of the heavy S6.

Of course, "fitment" over brake calipers does not automatically make them suitable for the car itself. I thought I read a thread a while back somewhere that the B7 RS4 wheel was not suitable for the S6 or 4.2 due to the weight of the car.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Shouldn't the supplier of said wheel ask the buyer the type of car..

the wheels are being fitted to and determine the capadibilty?

Quick Reply: Buyers beware. poor service/quality from Hartmann Wheels- B7 RS4