A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Bye Bye Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bye Bye Bumper

I ruined my bumper on my 3 month old Ebony Pearl A-6 yesterday and I am DAMN PISSED OFF!

I pulled into a parking spot, and heard a slight scraping sound as I passed over the concrete curb - the kinda thing you hear all the time.

But later as I pulled out, the bumper must have caught on the curb, and my bumper got pulled half way off the car! Absolutely ruined, I can't imagine what its gonna cost to replace (for various reasons I probably won't bother my insurance company unless its over 1500 bucks to fix)

I vaguely recall reading something like this last spring when I was shopping for cars. Does anyone have any info?

Dave
Old 10-10-2000, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Bye Bye Bumper

The A6 is much too prone to this action. My dealer has started to lower the engine bottom cover on A6s so that no lip is apparent, thus not allowing the kerb to "hook" onto the rear of the bumper. The front bumper on the A6 is a liability! If you manage to never hook onto kerbs you still will likely have it pitted with road debris. Why can't they (Audi) design a more suitable front bumper?

This front is so sensitive that we as customers are expected to protect our investments by purchasing parking assist features and 3M plastic coating. Where does the responsibility of Audi end?
Old 10-10-2000, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, the curb can catch the lower front fascia and you are close

in you estimate. Depending on what collateral damage there is it may run from close to nothing up to $1000. Fortunately you will probably never do this again. Unfortunately your car is damaged and you are angry.

I suggest going to your dealers body shop on a quick cold call and "ask" them for their advice. If it just the clips that gave way they may try to fix it on the spot. If you have collateral damage they will give you an estimate. They have seen it before.

Fortunately it seems that this happens only once in awhile (based on postings) and I have actually almost done the very same thing myself. However, my 325is and 944 were equally troublesome or worse so I have grown accustomed to being more cautious with the nose of any car. This forum saved the day for me in regards to the A6.

Hope this helps and make sure you get to the shop right away to avoid further damage. If it is a matter of liquid $$ then simply ask the dealers service mgr if they can at least realign and reclip the fascia. Then repair after winter.
Old 10-10-2000, 12:25 PM

Come on guys, no different than Corvette, BMW, and others. Why is it Audi's fault?
Old 10-10-2000, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Bye Bye Bumper

Cost about 1,000 to have the bumper replaced, painted, and the fenders fixed. My wife did the same thing to our A6 not long ago. When she backed up and caught the bumper, it even pulled the right and left quarter panels in that needed to be fixed. Those were fixed paintless.

With ours, one place wanted to "blend" the paint for the new bumper to the rest of the car. I didn't like that idea and went somewhere else. The only paint that was put to the car was on the new bumper. And we are happy with the job that was done.

Take it to a place you can trust. Do some homework on where you take it. We are in Atlanta and could provide more info if you are in the Atlanta area.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2000, 01:58 PM
Elder Member

Default maybe you shouldn't be so attached to your bumpers

Something has to take the pain of everyday driving. Now you know why bumpers in Europe are black.

I find this so funny.

I think you just need to buy a cheaper car, so you don't get so uptight about damage to your bumpers.

Like Audi somehow is the only company that makes bumpers subsceptible to collisions, parking errors, and stones!
Old 10-10-2000, 05:00 PM

Default And where does the driver's responsibility begin?

It's one thing for the bumper to catch. It's quite another for the driver to be so oblivious to the situation that they back up until they've ripped the entire front bumper off. But then we Americans don't like to be held responsible for not paying attention.
Old 10-10-2000, 06:36 PM

Re: Is this case ripe for a class action?
Old 10-10-2000, 10:41 PM
uwg

Default No chance [more]

Why sue when it's YOUR fault? Where do you draw the line? If you park too close to another car and dent a door, is that your fault or Audi's? If you bottom out going into a drive way... bottom out parking too close to the curb... run your car into a wall...

Give them a break and take some responsibility.

If the make the car idiot-proof, someone will find you a better idiot.
Old 10-11-2000, 03:07 AM

Default Re: No chance [more]

Agreed. We snagged the bumper once, will never happen again. The wife and I both were used to driving SUVs and I have a pickup, we were used to docking in every parking lot.

Not anymore....but yes, it was our fault.

Quick Reply: Bye Bye Bumper