A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Bypass valve (BPV) and NOT MAF Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass valve (BPV) and NOT MAF Problem??

I've been reading the forum and was convinced that the codes I was receiving (typical bank1/2 too lean) meant my MAF was bad on my 2000 A6 2.7T. I even read the block 2 readings under full throttle in 2nd gear and confirmed that I was not getting the level of reading I would expect. All this clearly pointed to a bad MAF (which apparently is a common problem in the 2000 year model). I was even happier because this would be covered under the Audi emmissions warranty. Only thing that didn't seem to completely point this way was that I was not experiencing any obvious performance degradation and certainly had not gone into limp mode.

So brought it to the dealer today and they claim that my problem is a bad bypass valve and NOT my MAF. So they are charging me about $400 to replace both valves (said they should be done at same time). I told them I was concerned that the problem really is the MAF and they assured me that if I get another CEL they will replace the MAF under warranty and not charge a diagnostic fee (how nice of them!). So I'm disappointed that I'm out the $400+ but hoping that this solves the problem.

I've asked to have them return the replaced bypass valves so I can check their condition and I can post pictures if there is interest. I'm also a bit upset that it sounds like the BPV's only run about $25/each and it is a fairly easy replacement job yet they are hitting me hard for $400 (and claimed the parts costs $75/each). I'll post what happens and pictures if anyone is interested. I can also post my VAG-COM results if there is interest. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Actually, many recent posts about lean VAG being an indicator....

of bad BPV's. As for $400, you are getting hosed. Call the dealer to call it off if you can. You can buy better replacements (710Ns) for $35 a piece and do it yourself in less than an hour. Besides, you can still drive it while waiting for the bpvs to arrive!!

John in Cincy
Old 09-02-2004, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Bypass valve (BPV) and NOT MAF Problem??

Actually, the 710B valves they use are about $65 a piece.

I ran into a similar issue. I replaced my BPV myself and was still receiving codes and lack of performance consistent with a bad MAF.

Took it in, they charged me $100 for a "loose clamp" at one of the bypass vlaves. They tightened it and I drove off with no code...for about 15 minutes.

Code came back I called, "Yep it;s the MAF, bring her back in."

I did and the MAF was replaced under warranty, but I was still out $100.

Pick up two 710Ns for the TT and do it yourself. Run to Pep Boys or somepolace like that have them pull and clear any codes. See if it comes back, if it does then visit the dealer.

$400 to replace 2 BPVs and 6 clamps is a lot. It takes maybe 10 - 20 minutes to do the job.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP OFF. You can change those yourself in 30 minutes for ~$50.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:24 AM

Default what???? $400 for what? 1 hour labor, $100 parts max!!!

even if they charged 1/2 hour diagnosis fee it should not be more than $250

ask them, in writing, to tell you what teh book time is for 2 BPV's to be replaced, and tell them you will bring your own parts
Old 09-02-2004, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Even if they stick you for $75 for the BPV it still only takes 30 minutes to change them.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Don't use their crappy OEM valves

They'll just break again. I just barely went through this exact ordeal. Standard bank 1/2 lean condition, and I thought it was the MAF. Dealer diagnosed it as BPVs. So I told them not to replace the BPVs, as I'd do it myself.

I chose some metal piston-based Forge valves, but they are expensive (140 a pop). The OEM ones are dung but several people have used the Bosch 710Ns (used on other some other Audis and Porches I believe) without issue. The 710Ns are very reasonable, and I can assure you the installation job is VERY simple. $400 for that job is straight up rape. I did it in 40 minutes, being very methodical and careful about it. There's a PDF on how to do it on awe-tuning.com if you look at their Bailey branded BPV.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Dude...are you my lost twin?? I made the same damn mistake 2 weeks ago - doh!

I have a 2000 2.7t that had the CEL - I ended up buying a VAG, got the codes, figured it was warranty, and after a $70 testing session, they told me it was BPV's! DOH!!

I ended up just buying new 710N valves and replacing them myself, so I ended up spending about $150 total.

I feel your pain about thinking it was gonna be a free fix.

Ryan
Old 09-02-2004, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default BrianAudiA6 - I would like to see detailed pics of your BPV's.

Please post them up at your convenience. Thank you.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:42 PM

Default just put 710N's in last night

had some issues where I was not getting boost and I thought it was the TBB and at the last sec I told the dealer to throw in 710N's to my parts order (had to wait 2 days to get the TBB in).... was not difficult and very basic hand tools, and now boost is back and I know I am now set. $11 for TBB and $33/ea for the valves, $0 labor.

I couldn't believe it when you said $400 for DV's only. I guess I sould listen to my wife and become a mechanic!

Quick Reply: Bypass valve (BPV) and NOT MAF Problem??