A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Cam seals with timing belt job?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam seals with timing belt job?

The dealer did the timing belt & et al, but we both knew the cam seals /valve cover were starting to leak but they did not do them at the same time. Maybe thinking it wasn't severe enough? And said it would be better to come back at a later time.

How much is this oversight by them going to cost to have the cam seals and valve gasket for the driver side replaced? Does the front end need to come off again because of the timing belt cover?

I'm thinking of complaining that they should have done it at the same time and lulled me into false security and will now charge the same price as a timing belt job for maybe 2 hours of work for the driver side.

And oh yeah, the service writer said something to the effect it wouldn't be worth it during the service visit since what the mechanic was in there for wasn't related to the cam seals, implying it was a separate job that couldn't be done at the same time. After reading the archives, he was bull****ting which makes me even angrier. And the mechanic made reference that it was a 12 hour job. I don't know what he was smoking and what makes it even stranger is this Audi/Porsche dealership was the lowest for prices at $750 for the TB+ job I got.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default yes tell them to do it with TB

to remove cam seals , TB needs to removed, I don't see other way to install it, sprockets need to removed...
Old 10-12-2007, 02:53 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Cam seals or cam adjuster seals or both?

Regardless, in my shop both are maintenance items that are done at the same time as the timing belt. Never skip a leaking seal. Always, always, always do the cam adjuster seals with the timing belt.

For cam seals, the timing belt must be removed. For cam adjuster seals, you can generally sneak them in without removing the belt, but it ain't easy, especially on the 2.8.

Good luck.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Cam seals or cam adjuster seals or both?

When I attempted to do the TB myself, I noticed a smudge of caked on oil on the inside of the TB cover behind the tb on the driver side, and on that wired sensor or whatever that is on the driver side on top that monitors the timing belt. It's also filmy on the bottom of the oil pan and on the driver side of the engine block. So I can assume it was the front cam seal that needs the TB to be removed, and the valve gasket.

Then those idiots should have done it at the same time, but probably for the sake of another $400 visit they told me to hold off. Here's hoping they give me more than a $10 discount, and file a complaint that they should have added it to the repair bill while they were in there and it should be done for free.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM

Default removing sprockets

Is this something I can do that requires the cam holding bar? Any special tools?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:06 PM
GPZ
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't even think about doing it without the cam holding bar.