A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

CAM SPROCKET HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAM SPROCKET HELP

I'd like to replace the cam seals and plugs while I'm doing a full timing belt/water pump/t-stat service to my 2.8q, but I've hit a brick wall. According to the Bentley manual, I'm supposed to pull and replace the cam sprocket with tool # T40001, which I don't have.

What else can I use to remove AND REPLACE the cam sprockets besides the one called for in the Bentley manual?
Is there a way to do it w/o removing these?
If you have done this job before, what were your experiences?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The A8 write-up I read said to use a rubber/plastic mallet to 'tap' the sprockets off the cams.

As an alternative, you should be able to find a generic/universal puller at a autozone-type place for 15-20 bucks.

Doesn't seem like T40001 would help 'replace' the sprockets.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

By "replace" I mean put it back on. I'll see what they have at autozone, I don't think it's a good idea to "tap" anything in/on the cam shaft on or off. Sounds sketchy.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Like the other poster, you can use a generic puller which you can rent or buy from autozone.

Take what follows with a grain of salt if you like but but from most of your posts on the whole timing belt thing it doesn't seem you've identified everything to do this job before you start. This isn't something simple like changing a spare tire or replacing a bulb...and if you screw up here you will be purchasing a new head...or two.

I've read too many posts over the years of people effing up a timing belt job and then asking, "Why did my car start and then die?" I'd really suggest you try to get all the items you need before you go too much further along.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agreed.. there is something about reading 'cam' and 'mallet' in the same sentence that doesn't sit well with me.

Hopefully someone w/ experience can chime in, but my understanding is that you only need to place the sockets back on by hand w/ the timing belt in place, thread the cam key/plates and bolts on, attach the Cam holder tool and tighten the bolts.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

*sprockets
Old 10-29-2009, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Donuts
Like the other poster, you can use a generic puller which you can rent or buy from autozone.

Take what follows with a grain of salt if you like but but from most of your posts on the whole timing belt thing it doesn't seem you've identified everything to do this job before you start. This isn't something simple like changing a spare tire or replacing a bulb...and if you screw up here you will be purchasing a new head...or two.

I've read too many posts over the years of people effing up a timing belt job and then asking, "Why did my car start and then die?" I'd really suggest you try to get all the items you need before you go too much further along.
i ordered the Ultimate Plus Timing Belt Kit from ECS which includes - as they told me - everything that i should need to do the whole job. i also ordered the Bentley manual from them, so i did not know about the tool until i saw the repair manual. you might also notice that there isn't $hit on this site or the tech articles which decribes or attempts to discuss the cam sprocket removal.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Changing the seals or not, you'll still need to get the sprockets free to set the timing.

Do not hit the out edge of the sprocket with a anything. They break very easily. If you use a puller, grab the sprocket as close to the center as possible.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

do you have a recomendation for which kind of generic pulley i can use from a part store?
Old 10-29-2009, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I like the PosiLock ones as I've had the regular universal ones twist and pop at times.

http://www.posilock.com/ManPullers/3jawman.htm

Quick Reply: CAM SPROCKET HELP