A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Cam Tensioner gasket or Camshaft Seals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam Tensioner gasket or Camshaft Seals?

Hello Everyone,

I have an oil leak on my 2003 Audi 3.0L V6.
I have done some research of what the problem seems to be like, but i am confused on how to take this job, since all of the write up seem to be made only for different models as 2.7. or 1.8L.

My question: I can replace the gasket myself, but does the 3.0 have a cam tensioner gasket or do i need to replace the camshaft seals?

Im not sure which one is it. Please let me know.

Please forgive me as I just bought this car not long ago, and I am learning a few things about it.

Thank you.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If you can do the valve cover gaskets, you can do the rest. My paper Bentley manual has valve cover gasket R/R for the 3.0 and it looks easier than the 2.7. It does not mention anything on cam seals and tensioner gaskets for any engine, but I followed the audiworld tech write up with no issues with my 2.7. I would assume that all dual overhead cam engines have replaceable seals and have a similar tensioner gasket. Note that a special tool is needed for the tensioner on the 2.7 and maybe it is the same for the 3.0. That said, 3.0's might not be subject to the same leak prone cam issues and you don't have to consider preventative replacement, if you're of the DFWAB school.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello, thank you for your response. Where can I get this manual?
I have heard that the 3.0 does not have a cam tensioner, is this true?

Thank you again.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My XP computer finally booted the Bentley digital version and the 3.0 procedure is different and uses other tools, so disregard my optimism. Looks worse than the 2.7. Bentley discusses removing all the cam caps, which I didn't have to on the 2.7.

If the leak is confined to the valve cover gaskets, I might not do the whole works.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Where can I get this Manual?
Old 10-11-2015, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bentley Publishers Home - Bentley Publishers - Repair Manuals and Automotive Books

Read the pc requirements in the FAQ's, since you run this on XP via kluge for later Windows systems. There is a beta online version with no XP nonsense, but I don't know how to get it.

I wouldn't do the repair without the on-line manual. Paper version is fine for some things, but incomplete.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

wow, that book is expensive! I will try to reconsider, and see if a certified mechanic can look at it and tell me a quote. thanks for the help though.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David Steve Perez
wow, that book is expensive! I will try to reconsider, and see if a certified mechanic can look at it and tell me a quote. thanks for the help though.
Come on really!
The book looks expensive? The book will pay for itself!
Wait until you see what a certified technician's diagnostic bill is going to be and wonder if the guy is being straight about what needs to be done or if the guy knows about this engine.

For starters the AVK 3.0 does not have a chain tensioner or "cam tensioner" it has a cam adjusters under the valve cover, the only external seal outside of the valve cover is in the belt sprockets under the bolt cover buttons "No Biggie" and the cam position sensors have a paper gasket on the back of the heads.

The valve cover gasket is one continuous gasket, "easy peasy".
Old 10-11-2015, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think you are loosing oil at the camshaft seals at the head behind the belt sprockets then look at the PDF, it's rare it see this because the 3.0 uses oil pressure to advance the valve timing via cams and behind the seals "possibly in question" are metal seal rings on the shaft ends inside the adjusters, I have doubts about this because you would have CEL codes indicating a problem on cam adjustments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AVK Cam Seal.pdf (86.2 KB, 223 views)

Last edited by jcman; 10-11-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you so much for your input. Calm down though, everyone is bond to see the best option. I do thank you for your help. Do you have the write up on valve covers for the 3.0. Does anyone one have it, I will greatly appreciate it!

Thanks cman, you are the man.

Quick Reply: Cam Tensioner gasket or Camshaft Seals?