A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

can i replace my Concert radio with a Symphony?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i replace my Concert radio with a Symphony?

i tried a search for information on this and could'nt find any. i have the Bose system but would prefer the in-dash cd as supposed to the trunk changer. the radio seems like it should fit if i removed the wood stereo cover as well. also would it just be plug n play or would i need different adapters. thnx in advance.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highly doubt it....there's a huge size difference!!
Old 09-05-2002, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 198 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Re: can i replace my Concert radio with a Symphony?

The Symphony unit is a "double din" size and therefore requires the climate control controls to be resited. In this respect I am sure there will be a new centre console face plate that makes this re-location fairly easy and it is likely that here in Europe where the Concert and Chorus radios (single Din) are the standard fit that fitting the Symphony unit can probably be done by the dealer.

Don't know if you will be able to get the parts easily or not plus the cost of a new Symphony unit is unlikely to be cheap and you would probably only be able to fit the older single CD Symphony I unit as opposed to the MY2002 Symphony II that offered the in-dash multi-changer
Old 09-05-2002, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I replaced mine with a NAV+ and...

...it was a hell of a job. I mean, connectors and plugs were just a couple of splitting the harness and soldering, pretty straightforward. Basically, plugs are the same.

The REAL job is to change your single DIN frame to a double DIN, since Symphony is twice as high : you can either DIY (be ready to spend a day or two !) or buy a new frame (I would guess about $250, based on prices here, in Europe. Check with your dealer !).

In order to fit that new frame, you will need to remove :
- the rear console (the one around the hand brake, goes back to the rear vent outlet)
- the driver's footwell
- glove compartment
- wood trim around Tiptronic gate
- hazard lights switch + ESP switch and cupholder
- radio + A/C head unit + ashtray
- center console
- vent ducts that provide rear vents with air

You *could* need to replace your ashtray with a smaller one, since it is lower within the console which itself is less wide at its bottom. Surprisingly, ashtray and its wood trim cost more than $200. Again, check with your dealer.

BTW, I did not have any issue with the navigation CD, as I am in Europe.

Hummmm, good luck ! More details if needed, just ask !