A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Car got messed up last night...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you check for frame damage? Can dealership do it? How much $?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:17 AM

Default that's nice ... in theory

Slamming on the brakes in the middle of a relatively busy street is GUARANTEED damage and running over something that you can't identify has a chance at damage. I got unlucky this time. 99 out of 100 items in the road are not a big deal. This item was no bigger than a toaster and was difficult to see.

As I mentioned, I came around the corner in an intersection with a light and the thing in the road was probably less than 50 feet ahead. It was dark and raining too, which made it more difficult to see how significant of an item it was.

While I agree that I was traveling too fast to stop for that item due to the imperfect conditions, I was certainly not speeding. Expecting everyone to drive at a speed that allows for every eventuality is a joke.

Safe distance behind someone on the highway is about 80 feet. Do any of us give 80 feet of leeway at all times on the highway? (Assumes 70 mph, average reaction time, and that your car can stop just as fast as the person in front of you.) Now you have to pray that the person behind you was more than 80 feet behind. If they are not, you have to give even more distance to allow for both of you stopping in time. Then you leave 120 feet of distance and everyone cuts in front of you, leaving you only 40 feet so you have to slow further.

I think it doesn't work that way in the real world.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default You can check visually, but the only real way to verify no damage to unibody is a trip to the

frame machine. Mount and measure.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Take your time to ensure EVERY THING gets addressed. This is a one shot deal with the tow company.

Sorry for your loss. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Honesty in today's day and age. Sorry to hear about your car, but glad it's not your dime.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:07 AM

Default just got the estimate..$3.5k parts $1.5k labor.

($5k for a 'minor' incident and I only paid $10k for the car. These things must get called 'total loss' pretty quickly.)

Then they will pad it a little in case the company wants to haggle on labor rates or anything.
If they pad it and they don't haggle, I may have some extra cash to look for an RS6 front bumper or something.
I'll know more tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is a rare these days, too bad the guy will likely be punished for his honesty.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yup. No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Totally agree...read this story...

Travelling to Long Island from Boston a bunch of years ago. Going over the Throgs Neck Bridge. Left the toll booth and was going at a normal rate of speed in my Mercedes 380SE following a similar year (possibly a couple years older) American made large sedan (not sure of make or model). The sedan in front of me suddenly goes into a full blown 4 wheel lockup (NOTHING in front of them to cause this, not many deer on top of the Throgs Neck Bridge). I'm a "reasonable" distance behind them but knew there was no way to stop before hitting them. I knew there was a Boar's Head meat truck to my right (remember like it was yesterday) and I didn't have enough time to check my left except for a real quick look at 90*. Got off the brakes and slammed it left to avoid the car in front. The 380SE wasn't the best handling car but it did it's job that day. Narrowly missed the other car and got around on the left.

Scared the livin' ****e out of me. Slowed and moved back to the right lane in anticipation of my exit. Wife said the womoan in the right seat of a car behind us in the left lane passed us with a thumbs up as if to say "nice move".

As I was getting off at our exit, I caught a glimpse of the old bitch in the sedan that had nearly caused the collision, passing us on the left, casually smoking a butt without a care in the world. There is NO doubt in my mind to this day that she intentionally tried to cause the accident.

Moral of this long story. You can be a careful and dillegent driver but sometimes you encounter a situation that's unavoidable. I was lucky and found a way out.

Jim
Old 01-19-2006, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In one way at least you lucked out - sorry about all the trouble though.

Quick Reply: Car got messed up last night...