A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Car won't start - any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car won't start - any thoughts?

So, on Tuesday I had some new tires put on my car, drove it home, parked it for about an hour, went out to the car, started it up and then realised I forgot something in the house. I went in the house and came back and the car had died. It will turn over strong, but not start at this point.

My first thought (after the CTS) was a fuel issue, because once or twice it sounded like it was going to fire up and then it chugged and died. I tested for voltage at the pump while someone turned the ignition and it was getting a little over 10 volts (I am sure the battery was dying at this point due to the constant cranking).

I then listened to see if the pump would turn on and did not hear anything. I ordered a new pump and went out to replace it just now. Before I went through the effort of disconnecting the old pump entirely, I took it out and hooked it up to a 12V hobby battery. The thing spun right up and shot gas everywhere (good thing I only ran it for a second).

So, it looks like the pump is fine. I am going to retest the voltage at the connector.

What other issues could cause the car to crank but not start? Ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jseklund
So, on Tuesday I had some new tires put on my car, drove it home, parked it for about an hour, went out to the car, started it up and then realised I forgot something in the house. I went in the house and came back and the car had died. It will turn over strong, but not start at this point.

My first thought (after the CTS) was a fuel issue, because once or twice it sounded like it was going to fire up and then it chugged and died. I tested for voltage at the pump while someone turned the ignition and it was getting a little over 10 volts (I am sure the battery was dying at this point due to the constant cranking).

I then listened to see if the pump would turn on and did not hear anything. I ordered a new pump and went out to replace it just now. Before I went through the effort of disconnecting the old pump entirely, I took it out and hooked it up to a 12V hobby battery. The thing spun right up and shot gas everywhere (good thing I only ran it for a second).

So, it looks like the pump is fine. I am going to retest the voltage at the connector.

What other issues could cause the car to crank but not start? Ideas? Thanks.
No spark? No air? No gas? That's it. I bet no spark.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to ask what would cause enough loss of spark to keep the engine from starting, but I guess the ECM or POS would do that....I will check this weekend....
Old 06-07-2013, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Flooded. Happens. Audis don't like to be started for 10 seconds, stopped, and then try to start.
You can leave it overnight and it will probably start, or put your foot to the floor and crank it.

Old school,
On a fuel injected car, you also floor the gas pedal while turning the key. But what you're doing is sending a message to the computer (which controls the fuel-air mixture). When you press the gas pedal to the floor in the "crank mode" (when the engine is trying to start), you let the computer know that the engine is flooded, and the computer automatically cuts the fuel flow in half.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jseklund
I was going to ask what would cause enough loss of spark to keep the engine from starting, but I guess the ECM or POS would do that....I will check this weekend....
Read SJB below and you'll know in the morning if you were flooded. Let us know.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 74 Likes on 73 Posts

a couple points . he said he left the car running, came back and it had died . so its not flooded. something broke.

to start you need fuel, spark and compression. air is always there. i bope the timing belt didnt break.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

This is an old issue, and I've posted this before, but I'm not buying the "flooded" explanation. I think it has more to do with hyper extended lifters causing a lack of compression.

Regardless, the solution is the same: foot to the floor and crank until it starts, one cylinder at a time.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Fuel Pump J17 Relay, POPPED Fuse, or Fault Crank Sensor G62.... Flooding with fuel, NO, it is not a 1996 GM ECU we are talking about here.

If the crank sensor G62 is faulty, you will have no spark and no injection pulse while cranking, but fuel pump will turn on.

If you have spark, fuel injection pulse and fuel pump voltage, then the next step I would take is check the timing belt timing, then compression test, if low compression, then leak down test....
Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag
a couple points . he said he left the car running, came back and it had died . so its not flooded. something broke.
Er, can I change my answer. Did not notice the stall.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Er, can I change my answer. Did not notice the stall.
nope sorry, no answer changing allowed.

I'm going to stick with no spark.

Quick Reply: Car won't start - any thoughts?