A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Catalytic Converter Opinions - Please Weigh In

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ilsaccente
Have you replaced the downpipes an cats on your '99 A6 yet? If so, did you have any problem with those old manifold studs? I'm a bit worried- any tips for me with those?
I replaced the left side at 175k and again at 250k (aftermarket is not nearly as good as OEM). Right side was replaced at 270k.

No broken studs or other issues. Easy to get to all the bolts with no pre-cats.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad to hear that- I've heard some nightmare stories from others regarding same job on other cars.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Timely post!

Hi Guys,
Timely post! I am getting the error code (cant think of it off the top of my head) but the audi dealer told me bad cats and they need to be replaced if I want my CEL to go away.
I emailed Jim Yanch about cats for a 2.8 and he pointed me to ebay where they sell them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1213wt_754

My question, should these clear up my CEL providing it is indeed the converters that are bad? I suspect it would also be a good time to put in new o2 sensors.

FYI, my brother has worked at both Tuffys and Firestone for the last 20 years, he can do the work and even weld these in place for me, but he is not certain if the CEL will go away.

A "German" car mechanic he is -not-

Thanks!
Lance
Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance Kragenbrink
Hi Guys,
Timely post! I am getting the error code (cant think of it off the top of my head) but the audi dealer told me bad cats and they need to be replaced if I want my CEL to go away.
I emailed Jim Yanch about cats for a 2.8 and he pointed me to ebay where they sell them.

My question, should these clear up my CEL providing it is indeed the converters that are bad? I suspect it would also be a good time to put in new o2 sensors.

FYI, my brother has worked at both Tuffys and Firestone for the last 20 years, he can do the work and even weld these in place for me, but he is not certain if the CEL will go away.

Thanks!
Lance
Are the cats rattling or just throwing efficiency codes? What year is the car? There may be other options for you.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Donuts
Exhaust Direct (www.exhaustdirect.ca) for $190/side + $19 S&H. Ask for Jim Yanch. I bought both a left and right for my '99 and had no issues what so ever. They will warranty them for the federally mandated period too.
Originally Posted by Lance Kragenbrink
Hi Guys,

Thanks!
Lance
They aren't $190 per side. The price is $260 per side, and $20 shipping. I might just feel better paying CT Cats the $325 (cash) per side and pick-up same day. Opinions?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

They aren't $190 per side. The price is $260 per side, and $20 shipping. I might just feel better paying CT Cats the $325 (cash) per side and pick-up same day. Opinions?
$190 for the AHA engine which is what I have on my '99. I think the $260 is for ATQ engines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...Q5fAccessories

<shug> Do what you are comfortable with....I only offered my experience.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The paper work from the dealer says
"VEH has trouble codes - P1423 bank 1
Secondary air flow system flow too low - P0431
Cat bank 2 efficiency below threshold - P0421 bank

The did do a reflash and it the cel went away for a day then came back.

The recommend replacing both cats.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, it's a 2001

Thanks
Old 05-25-2010, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had same trouble a while back. Replaced vacuum lines and EGR valve- problem solved.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had same trouble a while back. Replaced vacuum lines and EGR valve- problem solved.
Ilsaccente
Was that reply for me?

If so that gives me some hope!
Also 4driver4 ton answer you other question, no ratteling.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Opinions - Please Weigh In