A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

CEL FLASHING, CAR STUTTERING, SULFUR SMELL - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JerzyBoy973
dude, you're mistaken. that battery supplies 12volts to kick the motor over. during normal operation the battery becomes the recipient of juice as your alternator puts out 14volts to keep the show going. sorry to poke a hole in your theory.

check your ignition system. might just be coils or something simple. what codes did you pull from the ecu?
Beat me to it.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bad cell on a battery can go undetected for sometime. easy chk to do.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well on this whole battery thing - Audi has told me before I have the wrong battery (not "Audi's" battery) and that the one I have now (prev. owner put in) is "too small." However, my car cranks perfectly, i run at 14V with no problems, so I figured, F-it, I'm not paying Audi $150 for a battery when mine is perfectly fine. lol I will manually check it out this morning though just to rule it out.

Now, secondly, I haven't pulled any codes yet as I don't have a VAG-com (yet). $800 is sort of a lot of money to dish out at once right now. But I am going to call Autozone and see if I can rent their reader which I'll take one of the other cars to go get it - I'm afraid to drive the A6 as she is - esp since the CEL was flashing at one point. Would a misfiring coil pack cause it to flash? That's sort of what I'm putting my money on - is one or more coil packs. Not sure if they've ever been changed.

I'm just praying it isn't anything big and expensive lol Thank you guys for your input! As soon as I get codes, I'll post 'em
Old 12-27-2009, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Codes are pulled - Got two of them:

P0302 - Cylinder #2 Misfire (So I DO need new coil packs...?)
I plan on changing all 6 - but which cylinder is #2? Pass or driver side? I want to move them around and make sure the code follows it to the new cylinder.

P0421 -
Quote from Auditech79:
"Here is what i got from the factory repair manual.
P0421= Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1
Its just a fancy way of saying you need a cat converter on the passenger's side, which on a 3.0L, is beyond a pain in the a**! Plus the cat costs over $1,000 alone.
The good news is you have less than 80 thousand miles so federal emmisions warranty will cover it free of charge so grab a beer and smile."

I think I'm just going to reset code P0421 and see if it comes back as after reading a lot on the forums, some say a bad tank of gas can trigger this code when the cat convert still has a lot of life left. My car has 114k now and so I don't qualify for the fed emissions warranty - and Audi will quote a new one at $1500-1600!!! Gee - what perfect timing - right after christmas when I'm broke! lol Now my question is, I just googled for a cat converter for an 01 2.7T and a lot are coming up as OE replacement and are selling for around $300-500, way cheaper than $1k. Would these be ok to go with if I do need a new cat or should I make sure to say OEM and pay out the ***?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok here's an update - cleared both codes while car was warming up/idling - she seemed to be idling very beautiful this morning - no shaking/sputtering. Drove her back and forth, sometimes punching the gas, just in my driveway to see if she'd throw the 0302 code again - she didn't. Everything was working/running properly. So, I decided to take her for a 10 mile trip to Giant Eagle which includes Interstate driving at 65mph - she was perfectly fine the entire way out and back until I approached the big hill that I live on. As soon as I started climbing (doing 40mph) she started sputtering again and CEL started flashing. Re-read the ECU as soon as I parked her in my driveway and only P0302 showed up again. Again though, with the horrible smell. So I just cleared the code again (this time no P0421 code) and shut her off. I am going to order 6 CP's and hopefully that oughta fix her. I'll hold off and see if the P0421 comes back - my guesses are I might have got a bad tank of gas that set it off. Opinions?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

6 OEM coil packs ordered Should be here in a couple days - until then, I'll have to drive one of the other cars to work all week God I'll miss my baby lol
Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If it only started acting up when you were climbing a big hill, is it possible the problem is load related, maybe something to do with one of the turbochargers? And have you tested or inspected the coil packs?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts

One other issue...Are your engine and coils covered by the coil recall? Might get audi to pay for the diagnosis and coil replacements.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I doubt it John - it's a 2001 and now just under 114k - no extended warranty which I can kick my own *** for not purchasing lol but I stopped at Maroney's Foreign parts today and picked up a CP for $15 Just pulled her in the garage and am going to go swap it out. According to my Bentley, cylinder 2 is middle right side - now just to verify, right side always means passanger side, correct? Cylinder 1 is right front, followed by 2 & 3. Cylinder 4, 5 & 6 is on left side of engine from front to back. Just incase anyone needs that information from Bentley.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok well I just replaced the pass. side middle CP with the one I got from Martoney's - ran into one problem - the CP was the exact same OEM # as mine, however the boot was longer - so I ended up having to pull off the old boot and put it on the new CP. Installed new CP, reattached everything and started her up. I got more sputtering on idle then before and CEL came back on. Ran the code and again, P0302. Cleared the code and let her sit and idle, warming up. Still stuttering but CEL didn't return. Pulled her out of the garage and drove back and forth in the driveway (it's snowing like a b1tch so I was too afraid to take her for a drive w/ a possible bad CP and the weather). I don't know what's wrong?? I highly doubt the old boot is the bad part - it would be the CP itself, right? By boot, I'm talking about the long black rubber piece that slides over top of the plug itself. I do have the 2.7T and my CP are different than the 2.8, 3.0. Part number 058 905 105. The set of 6 CPs I ordered look to have the same size boot as my OEM one. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: CEL FLASHING, CAR STUTTERING, SULFUR SMELL - HELP!!