A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Change Your Transmission Fluid - Or you'll be Sorry - Here's Why >

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Change Your Transmission Fluid - Or you'll be Sorry - Here's Why >

Bought my 99 A6 2.8 from my friend's estate sale... the short coolant hose between the aux pre pump and the main water pump had dry rotted in the 6 months it sat durinig estate settlement ... I blew this hose 3 week after i had it ...the coolant got down into the transmission pan thru the paper thin dried out tranny pan gasket .... three days later the pressure build up in the tranny blew the tranny pump bushing and seal out and up on to the Torque converter shaft ... resulting in loosing all tranny fluid ... luckily i got to the shoulder of the road in a matter of seconds ...I had to pull the tranny and have her rebuilt and pieced together the cause and effect scenario I listed above .... very little cost to have fluid, filter and a new RUBBER ..pan gasket installed ... $100 vs $2500. Beleive me I think the cost benefit is there!!!!!! Not to mention the labor I put into it. Audi wanted $6K to do it !!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ummmmmm

If the paper gasket on the transmission was so bad, why didn't you loose all your transmission fluid long before the hose blew?
Old 12-16-2007, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That's a good story, and justified in those circumstances, but not quite what we were referring to.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good question! Pressure wasn't high enough with oil alone but once the >

coolant got into the mix the corresponding hydraulic pressure of the vapor burn off inside the tranny pushed the bushing and seal right out the front of the tranny

This coolant is corrosive and may have eaten thru a weak spot in the pan gasket .... plus coolant is hot when it blows out the hose thus causing it to be a better infiltrator

Also pressure is not so high in the pan area and fluid sits below the gasket level normally ... so there must have been a weak spot for the coolant to get in.

These cheap paper gaskets that are placed on the tranny pan at manufacturing are just askinig for problems. Another example of Auto manufacturers cutting corners and screwing up quality.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry ... not sure what you are referring to since i started this thread????
Old 12-16-2007, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

oh ...ok i see now the thread below ....NO DON"T FLUSH!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default How many people ever drive thru 6 inches of water ... that could be enough>

to cause water to infiltrate the tranny pan ....if it gets in and heats up inside the pump ....the pump will push the bushing and seal right out the front of the pump due to hydraulic action of the steam burn off and you'll lose all your transmission fluid ....all bets are off after that ..... cheap insurance is changing out the fluid and filter my new filter came with a rubber gasket ...so i hope this prevents it from happening again ...high water, coolant hose leaks, are super powerful car washes or pressure washes ...whatever the hell the case may be .... all I know is it was not just coincidence that the chain of events happened as it did ....car only had 70K miles on it and was in mint condition when i got it less the dryness issues .... PITA ... just trying to help others avoid going thru the same BS!!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 01:32 PM

I always try to avoid driving through standing water.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Fear the Miata!

i have changed and flushed the trans in my car @ 30 & 60k....no issues
Old 12-16-2007, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good choice - especially if you have the original trans pan gasket

Quick Reply: Change Your Transmission Fluid - Or you'll be Sorry - Here's Why >