A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Changing Display from Miles to Kilometers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Display from Miles to Kilometers

I just purchased a 2004 A6 S-Line out of Seattle and have brought it back to Canada where I live. Does anyone know how to change the display from Miles to Kilometers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter S.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find someone locally with Vag-Com...or a dealership can do it.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:27 AM

Default What else can a dealer (or Vag-com) change the configuration of ?

I tried asking over at the Vag-com section but got no useful answer. At the ross-tech wiki page it all seems to be about pulling codes and other overly complicated stuff.

I'd like to know just what behavioral things can be configured in this car. There must be a list somewhere, but I can't find it. Here are all the things I know about:

- Miles vs Km (for the trip computer and odometer).
- Whether doors/trunk are locked automatically when you reach a certain speed.

That's it really. I'd love to know what else I can change, if anything. For example, all the messages are displayed in German for me (weird that, being in Germany). I'd like to switch it over to English, but I don't even know if that's configurable.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You can absolutely change the control module for locks and windows...

the VAG COM can access the central locking module and you can do things like operate your windows with the remote, auto-lock at 15 MPH (unlocks when key is removed from the ignition), one-touch unlock of all 4 doors, removing the lights and/or horn when arming the alarm.

Check out this tech article for more info....<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec36.shtml">coding the control module</a></li></ul>
Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default And you can also code the instrument cluster for other countries...

...yours is probably coded for Germany (xx<b>0</b>xx) and you can probably change to US, UK, or Canada for English, but if you use the code for US I think it will change the odometer to miles instead of kilometers.

Check out the link below for the codes for the different regions you can use...<ul><li><a href="http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A6_%284B%29_Instrument_Cluster_%28from_MY_200 0%29#Coding">...coding the instrument cluster</a></li></ul>
Old 12-05-2007, 08:05 AM

Thanks. I've got all of those the way I want them (most were standard for Germany)
Old 12-05-2007, 08:06 AM

Default I think I'd want the "Canada" setting (English + measures in Km) :)

I'm gonna go get that done tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:39 AM

Default My Audi dealer added about $10 to my service bill to make a config change like this

I was getting the "auto door locking" setting added. I don't suppose your changing from M to KM would be any different. I'm gonna get that done myself (kicking myself for not thinking of it at the time I got the other change made).
Old 12-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Its at the dealer right now getting this done.

Thanks everyone for your feedback
Old 12-05-2007, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default hope you have better luck than me...

Hi,

I recently moved from California to Ontario (2001 A6 with rebuilt instrument cluster) and my cluster won't work properly when coded for Canada and Audi (here) won't do anything about it to fix it. I live with Celcius for the outside temp and climate control but US units for fuel and distance.

BTW, the Crappy Tire "federal inspection" went off fine without airbag stickers (I had removed mine from the visors at purchase) or the silly KM stickers that are "supposed" to be installed. They just gave it a full pass.

Local Audi dealer wired for daytime running lights for under $100 - while I waited.

/dan<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/729850.phtml">see my post...</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Changing Display from Miles to Kilometers