A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Chinese VAGCOM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The knock-off cables do not do everything the Ross Tech cables do. Knock-offs use VCDS lite and Ross Tech's use full version VCDS. Look at RT website for the differences. Minor, but some differences.

The Ross Tech equivalent of this knock-off is only $249, not $349 like keeps being mentioned. No HEX or CAN with the knock-off which means 2004 and earlier vehicles. The $349 RT cable will do all VAG's from '96 up to the ones rolling of the assembly now.

Knock-off cheaper yes, but you don't get support from RT and the cable may not work which means you will be out the $21 or be a PITA to get to work. Big deal, but if it fails after you bought the VCDS lite license then you will be out the $99 as well.

Just go for the real deal and you'll be set with no worries.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5v,

We are in violent agreement. my point behind the whole thing is i got a dongle that worked out just fine (luck, divine intervention, using half my brain stem..etc) -- it worked out and cost me a fraction of what the RT cost.

Does it do everything, of course not, I never said it did. However, I dont need to drop $350(yes there is a $250, but seriously, are you going to shell out $250 for something that cant scan anything from this decade? I think not, most people are going to shell out $350 to be future proof, I would if I went the RT route) to clear codes, TB adaps, monitor mis-fires...etc

I'm all for legit, straight from vendor purchase(RT in this case) -- I always say "the frugal man always pays more" and " buy the correct tool for the job "

however, in some rare cases, Lady luck is on our side, and in this case it worked out.

As with everything, buyer beware, and your millage may vary(YMMV)
Old 08-18-2011, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jedblack
5v,

We are in violent agreement. my point behind the whole thing is i got a dongle that worked out just fine (luck, divine intervention, using half my brain stem..etc) -- it worked out and cost me a fraction of what the RT cost.

Does it do everything, of course not, I never said it did. However, I dont need to drop $350(yes there is a $250, but seriously, are you going to shell out $250 for something that cant scan anything from this decade? I think not, most people are going to shell out $350 to be future proof, I would if I went the RT route) to clear codes, TB adaps, monitor mis-fires...etc

I'm all for legit, straight from vendor purchase(RT in this case) -- I always say "the frugal man always pays more" and " buy the correct tool for the job "

however, in some rare cases, Lady luck is on our side, and in this case it worked out.

Just comparing apples to apples. The $250 one is what compares to the knock-off one.

I just know if you search the net you will find many negative reviews on the knock-off dongles. More negative than positive.

Let's just leave it as a knock-off VAG-COM is better than none at all.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
Just comparing apples to apples. The $250 one is what compares to the knock-off one.
Quoted for truth.

Keep in mind that the Ross-Tech dongles come with support. Simply buying the software does not.

This is one area where you get what you pay for.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblack
5v,

I am glad it did work out for you. My bro has a Passat B7 and my C5. In future we might get another VW car so, we decided to go for the $350 RT VAG-COM solution. Support is another great thing although, I never had to call them. Personally, the RT is a superior tool. A simple analogy is that can a ratchet/socket tool set from R&S Strauss or Autozone do the job? Yes it would. It would also fail due to cheaper material / manufacturing process (it is cheaper isn't it?). Whereas, similar set from Snapon or Craftsman would also do the job and it is more expensive but, if it breaks (and yes in some cases do, although less likely) they are replaced free of charge.

Case in point, a flexible joint tool I kept in the toolbox for years split apart trying to remove the caliper frame bolts on my bro's passat. Went to sears and paid $12 for this single thing but, for lifelong, I never have to worry again right?

Finally, it all boils down to a matter of perspective and preference.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is how I got it to work...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=15401625