A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Chip talk! If a chip on a non-turbo engine can give more power by changing fuel/timing profile, why

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip talk! If a chip on a non-turbo engine can give more power by changing fuel/timing profile, why

can't a chip for a turbo engine give more power and never touch the amount of boost? Would that give more power, but not effect the reliabilities of the Turbos? And if I don't want to take the chance of chipping, how about changing intake, downpipes, and replacing the TBB with the pipe system? worth the time?
Old 08-31-2002, 02:17 PM
Elder Member

Default yeah, but chips for NA engines rarely do anything

There are three principles behind chipping an NA engine.

1. The makers of the cars were idiots and couldn't tune a car. Yeah, right, when MPG and emissions are most important, they aren't going to do a good job tuning the car.
2. Okay, if you can't get more power legally, maybe you can by exceeding emissions. This is rare. Generally, the best emissions are produce at the most efficient tune.
3. Finally, maybe the makers undertuned the car on purpose. This can happen if the car/truck shares an engine with another, more prestigous or expensive car. GM did this a lot on trucks for a while. Note that it doesn't appear that Audi has done this recently. The 190HP vs. 200HP tune of the 2.8 seems to be due to intakes as much as tune. And the difference in the different 1.8T tunes (150 vs. 170 vs. 180 vs. 225) it at least that much, with cams, piping and even turbos differing.

Since 1, 2, and 3 aren't common, usually an NA chip doesn't do much. Sometimes you can replace a part, like an MAF and then tune a chip to it. This might be possible because the original sensor was overloaded at full power.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agreed they dont do much, but having done 2 cars(4.2s). I have no regrets. There is no question that

if I were to meet a stock 4.2 I would have an advantage. I have both chips, exhaust and some intake work. I dont believe the chipmakers claims but somewhere in the 5-10% range for improvement is realistic.I believe there was some HP left on the table with the stock 4.2 motor.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Expert

what kind of intake work?
Old 08-31-2002, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This one has a K&N cone with an induction tube. It is actually housed in the airbox.

on this car I havent got around to putting additional air ducting to get more air in the box (2 1/2" dia) which I did on my prior 4.2. using the fittings from a craftsman wet/dry vacum. Very clean install actually, dealer never spotted it on trade in day.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Expert

hmm -I was thinking about doing some ducting, I just havn't figured out how
Old 08-31-2002, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well I seem to remember when Andre was tweaking his S6 the pros working on it seemed to feel getting

more air in the box was important. Its not rocket science. With my exhaust getting more air out I figured to get more in this way. By the way he was getting some pretty impressive and documented gains with remapping/chipping, exhaust and intake on his NA engine.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

can you give me an idea of how you had the duct running and how it attached?
Old 08-31-2002, 11:05 PM

Default You could program a chip that would do as you ask..

but I don't think they would sell when you are competing against chips that raise boost. Since it is an aftermarket part you are potentially violating your warranty just as you do with any other aftermarket chip. If you are worried about the risk of chipping maybe its not for you. It does carry some risk, perhaps more than you want to take with a 2000 model 2.7. Higher boost will bring a lot of power, but major power increases certainly increase the risk factor. Pesonally I have had 4 other turbo cars and have done something similar with each and have driven them for years at a time and have not had problems, so I will continue to do so, if the turbos go, they go.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:08 PM

Default probably not the kind that would help a 2.7..

it does not suffer from intake problems, it uses forced induction and according to many posts the intake flows just fine, with no improvement found in different air filters.

Quick Reply: Chip talk! If a chip on a non-turbo engine can give more power by changing fuel/timing profile, why