A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Cleaned up my Center Caps

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaned up my Center Caps

With my car being 10 yrs old, it's normal for some of the OEM items on the exterior to be a little banged up and worse for wear. I've got scratches on the bumper and on the doors. I've got some gouges on the passenger fender, etc. The one thing that has been bugging me were the scratches on my center caps. I'd be walking up to the car and it would be the first thing my eyes would be drawn too. So this weekend was my opportunity to do some DIY on the center caps rather than paying more than 30 bucks each for each new one on ECS Tuning.

Items needed
Flathead screwdriver or a kitchen knife to remove the center caps off of the rims
Some 220 grit sand paper
A can of Rustoleum spray paint - I got the semi-gloss black paint and primer with the hammered effect
An ice pick
A tube of super glue

Slip the flathead screwdriver between the center cap and rim and remove
Remove the circular piece of iron from inside of the center cap and put somewhere safe
Using the ice pick, push out the pins of the audi logo from the inside of the center cap and place in a safe place. Some of the pins may break off (that's where the super glue comes in handy)
Sand off as much of the original paint as possible. Sanding also roughens up the surface so that the paint/primer can adhere properly
Lay the center caps on newspaper and spray evenly with the paint. Allow to dry for up to an hour. Spray again and allow to dry
Reinsert the audi logo into the center cap
Replace the circular piece of iron on the inside of the center cap
Place the center caps back into the rim

Remove
Attached Images     
Old 06-30-2012, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, this is great. I didn't even realize you could remove the Audi logo on the centercaps. I'm definitely gonna take a crack @ this.

Good stuff, ATL Guy.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG
Wow, this is great. I didn't even realize you could remove the Audi logo on the centercaps. I'm definitely gonna take a crack @ this.

Good stuff, ATL Guy.
Thanks dude. I'm not the handiest guy out there so I'm sure you'd be able to do it. Just get all the necessary items first (sand paper, glue, ice pick, etc) and you're good to go.