A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Clunking during engine shut down. Quick diagnosis is the flywheel going out. (Longish)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking during engine shut down. Quick diagnosis is the flywheel going out. (Longish)

So I have been living with a clunking sound when shutting down the 2.7 6-speed for a few months now. I had my 60K service yesterday and had them check into it. Here is what we found. With the car in neutral and no clutch, the clunking is faint. With the clutch in it is loud, with the clutch in and in gear seems to create the loudest clunking, but very close to when the clutch is in but in neutral.
One tech initially thinks it is the throw-out bearing, the other the flywheel with more consensus on the flywheel after further discussion. If throw-out bearing it is on my tab, if the flywheel then Audi Assured. What I am wondering is that if it is the flywheel that has gone bad, should Audi pay for a new clutch also? Because anytime a new flywheel is installed or re-surfaced a new clutch needs to be installed. Thus their faulty flywheel gains me a new clutch as the current one is not a problem but shouldn't be used with a new flywheel (April maybe you could chime in on this)

Are there any fellow 6-speeders out there that have seen this type of failure or know anyone with a similar situation? Or even older cars with a dual mass flywheel failure.

Another board member posted a similar problem 2 weeks ago, and he has since been told by his service dept that all the 2.7 motors with a six speed clunk during shut down. I, as well as he, find that very hard to believe. My UrS4 had a dual mass and never clunked.

I take the car in next week for a more detailed analysis before we jump to any conclusions.

All thoughts are appreciated
Old 09-30-2004, 12:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

my 99 2.7 6spd doesn't clunk during shut down. original clutch etc i think 100k
Old 10-01-2004, 04:58 PM

Default It's your TO bearing..sorry but the flywheel....See below

Your flywheel would have to have suffered either 425 degrees to start seeing warpage, or been dropped from a 4 story building roof to the street. TO's go on stress alone, but I would seriously pursue a premature bearing failure with the closest "friendly" dealer and avoid the Svc mgr at your dealer. Flywheels are built dual-mass more recently for that very warpage problem. My older 944 had a lightened flywheel (911 sc donor)and I loved it, but my old flywheel had warped over 175K miles of use. Result? More horses, less torque, (slower uphill, but faster on WOT flat runs). Hey..I just had a thought. See if the TO bearing part # was superceded by a newer production, and argue from that point that even they swapped out the old because of possible design flaws... ?? possible???