A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Clutch Problems... Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Problems... Adjustment?

Well, my clutch is very near the end of its life. It served my dad for 90K+ miles, but since I am harder on the clutch than he is (partly to do with my style, partly to do with being new to manual), it is showing serious signs of wear after 5K+ of my driving. Long story short: it slips under moderate to hard acceleration. The amount of slippage varies with the application of the throttle. So I'm looking at a clutch plate whose material has been worn down to the last little bit.

I am definitely looking to get a new clutch, or at least replace the plate and flywheel, and maybe throwout bearings. But right now, I am away from my trusted shops and, as a college student, I don't have a lot of time to devote to my car. So I am wondering: as a stopgap measure, can the clutch be adjusted to minimize the problem? There is a VW dealership in town that I'm sure would be able to handle the work if there's anything can be done. But that's about as far as my trust extends, since I have no experience with--nor can I find any reviews of--the service department.

And as an aside, for someone like me who drives hard 25-75% of the time, any recommendations on replacement clutches/hardware?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:03 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

That is a premature death. Your "style" needs adjustment, not the clutch. Replace the clutch.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JediJoker7169
... I am wondering: as a stopgap measure, can the clutch be adjusted to minimize the problem?
Hey Jedi

Not sure if this is do-able. As far as I know the cluthes in our cars are self-adjusting, I might be wrong though.

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 10-12-2009, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by massboykie
Hey Jedi

Not sure if this is do-able. As far as I know the cluthes in our cars are self-adjusting, I might be wrong though.

Cheers
Massboykie
correct, the clutch is self adjusting (SAC) and it is hydrualicly accuated so no cable adjustments... as far as the driving goes, you need a better teacher, as 90k is WAY to early for a clutch to go out. my a6 lost its clutch at 65k, but the guy i owned it was new to manuals/terrible at driving (which is why he sold the car, could never drive it right) anyways with the v6 engines in these cars they produce alot of tourque, and if you dont know how to drive a stick or drive poorly, you will kill the clutch. also the dual mass flywheels on these cars, while nice at maitaining tock pedal feel, are prone to give way when driven by bad drivers/racers.... i had my jetts for 5 years, bought it with 90k on stock clutch. put another 50K on it, about 10k with a turbocharged motor running on a 50/50 gas alcohol combo, and only in the later days of its life did the clutch start to slip slightly, and i attribute that to 150k on a 10+ year old car doing weekly autocross runs at the track