A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Which Color A6 4.2 To Buy...(more)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2000, 09:56 AM
Mike Owens

Default Which Color A6 4.2 To Buy...(more)

OK, I went and drove an A6 4.2 yesterday and fell in love. What a car!!!

Today I have been calling and shopping around to dealers within 4 hours of me and have found the worst deal offered so far of $1500 off MSRP, and a best deal of $3850 off sticker price.

Now comes the dilemna - what color to choose. I drove a Melange/Melange and thought the color was OK, but was not bowled over by it. Several cars I've been offered good deals on are: Tornado Red with Melange, Silver with Onyx, and Ming Blue with Melange.

I know color is a very subjective thing, but I'm leaning towards the Silver/Onyx or the Tornado Red/Melange. I have a Magma Red CLK430 Cabriolet and it looks great in red with the Oyster interior, so I'm guessing the 4.2 will as well, but something tells me that Silver/Onyx will be a better color in the long run.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-25-2000, 10:00 AM
phred

Default Silver is the official Audi color ...

and you can't go wrong. I almost did a melange/melange but it's so DULL. Even the salesman joked that it looks like a Camry in that combo. I would have said avoid red, but you already have experience with that color.

And don't forget, phone offers are worth the paper they're written on ... in other words, you don't have a deal until you have a deal in writing in front of you.
Old 01-25-2000, 10:03 AM
Ali B

Default Think hard about Tornado Red ...

I think it will hurt you at resale time. Personally I like that color, especially on a smaller car like the VW Jetta or GTI, but it just doesn't feel right on a larger luxury car like the A6 4.2.

I am only going by pictures I've seen of a Tornado red A6 2.7T. If you've seen it in person and like it, go for it. However, be warned that it may hurt you when you are ready to trade it in or sell it. Most luxury car buyers look for more conservative colors like black, Racing green, silver, Melange or Ming blue. Silver with Tungsten gray is my personal favorite.
Old 01-25-2000, 10:22 AM
JP

Default Re: Which Color A6 4.2 To Buy...(more)

I ordered silver/tungsten leather in a 2.7T for ease of maintenance. Have owned silver and deep red in the past, and wish I hadn't opted for the deep red (although it sure looks good) since it's a pain to keep clean. The silver was a breeze to keep up, and if kept polished, was a standout.

The silver/onyx would be my choice.

..../jp
Old 01-25-2000, 10:24 AM
Steve R.

Default Lighter colors don't work well with the A6 because...

of the reflector plastic surrounding the rear plate. It makes the backend look funny and reminds me of a Pontiac. Dark colors mute this oddity. I would probably prefer silver except for this problem. My personal favorite color is that blue/grey from the S6 that was posted a few weeks ago. I
Old 01-25-2000, 11:01 AM
MJ

Default My dealership had a Ming blue w/melange int. on the floor and now I am dead set on that being...

my next car. Ming blue will look black under certain light conditions but when the light hits it, it is absolutly stunning. I like the darker colors b/c is tends to cover up the lines between the body parts (i.e. the lines from the front clip and front fender.).
Old 01-25-2000, 11:26 AM
Peter L

Default ming blue - very nice when clean

I love the color - I picked up my 2.7T in ming blue with the tungsten gray leather interior yesterday. I mulled over the color for a while - I didn't like the silver. While in graduate school I drove two absolutely awful GM cars for years - both in silver - and now have an aversion. The racing green looks fairly good - BMW has a color called Fern green on the 3's that looks better in my opinion. Most of the lighter colors seem very bland to me.

The dark colors are very nice. The black looks beautiful and liquid. The ming blue is very dark and rich - under the right light it shows a very dark blue. I'm very happy with it.

But:
The car shows dirt very quickly. A silver one can be covered with salt spray and look silver. From my perspective, I'd rather wash the color I want more often than have the other.

Your mileage may vary - but the black and ming blue will need to be kept cleaner.

Peter
Old 01-25-2000, 11:45 AM
Vasilios

Default Re: ming blue - very nice when clean

I am waiting for my 2.7t to come in. I ordered a ming blue with melange interior after seeing one on the floor. I think the color has great appeal.
Hope it gets here soon- the waiting is driving me crazy!!!
Old 01-25-2000, 12:27 PM
Ernst

I got my A6 4.2 last week and it's "brilliant black" with "vanilla" leather inside - looks absolutely great!
Old 01-25-2000, 12:41 PM
BrianK

Mike,

Well, like you said, color is a subjective thing. I've driven 3 4.2's and finally bought one. My silver/tungsten gray 4.2 should be at my dealer this week. I also like the Ming Blue, but its so close to black that it would be difficult to keep clean. I've never seen a 4.2 in red so I've got no idea about how it would look. Probably a police magnet though. I also think the silver/royal blue combo looks very nice.

Quick Reply: Which Color A6 4.2 To Buy...(more)