A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

color choice dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2000, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default color choice dilemma

I have been observing this forum for several months now, and really appreciate the comments, and obvious passion that most of you show for Audis, and driving in general. I have seen surveys that call for options/colors,etc. I would like to hear specifically from owners of brilliant black/clearcoat audis as well as ming blue owners, about how well the finishes are wearing.I have been vasilating between those 2 colors, and can't seem to decide. I currently drive a a-4 silver/titanium. I had hoped to get the silver/royal blue a6, but Audi discontinued the interior color. I am adament on the ambiente atmosphere, so melange will be the interior color, with either black or blue paint. Any opinions or experiences that I should consider? Swirls? Imperfections? Please refrain from mail on all the various color combinations that appeal to you all personally! Black or blue?
Old 06-30-2000, 09:33 AM

Default I have a brilliant black/onyx '00 4.2 and....

it's a great combo especially when the car is clean. As far as cleaning goes: 1) You must be dilligent because the black tends to show dirt, salt, etc. quickly, 2) To avoid swirls use a device called the California Water Blade (thanks to JP4, btw ;-)) and 3) Swirls and surface irregularities can be treated using Zaino products.

The absolute last interior choice for me would be the melange. 1) It shows dirt, and 2) It just doesn't look good with a blck car, IMHO. This interior looks better with the racing green, jaspis and especially andorra. The ming blue is probably too dark for melange, as well. As a matter of fact, if it was the only interior choice for black I'd have a major dilemma. Other than this I like the melange. IMHO, tungsten or onyx are the only choices for ming or brilliant black.
Old 06-30-2000, 10:59 AM

Default Re: I have a brilliant black/onyx '00 4.2 and....

I have to agree.........My father has a Brilliant black/Onyx '00 4.2. It is SHARP and like mentioned above, when clean it is sexy! The wheels seem extra wide with the wheel flares when it is clean.....the way the sky reflects off of it ooooh la la! My vote is for the Black! I saw for the first time last night a 2.8 Ming Blue. Although it was fairly dark out, it didn't WOW me when I saw in like the Black does.

Good luck in your choice!
Old 06-30-2000, 03:01 PM

Default Re: color choice dilemma

I have the Ming Blue/Melange. There seem to be a fair number of this combination -- don't know whether that is a plus or a minus. I've frequently owned black cars in the past. Thought it was a time for a change. The appearance of the Ming Blue changes significantly depending on the lighting conditions -- from a metallic blue to a midnight blue. Not quite as bad as black in showing dirt, etc., but close. No swirls or imperfections. I share your preference for Ambiente. I found the Vanilla too light (two kids under 12; Virginia red clay soil), so I went with the Melange which does not have the same contrast. Looks sharp, however.

The Audi shares the brake dust characteristics of German/Swedish cars. The 4.2 17" wheels are easy to clean, however. Something to think about when you make your wheel choice.
Old 06-30-2000, 08:52 PM

Default Re: color choice dilemma

I have a 15 month old A6 Brilliant Black w/ vinyl (leatherette) interior. My wife has a Satin Silver Passat. If I look hard enough, I can see essentially the same surface scratches on the Passat as are on my Black A6.

My conclusion: All cars have this issue and if you don't see the problem on light colored cars, your just not **** retentive enough.

No color is more beautiful than a clean (even if not scratch free) black car on a cloudy day. It makes up for all of the other days when your black car is the filthiest thing on the road.

The melange interior holds up fine, as long as you clean it every few months and your not a slob.<p>99 A6Q
98 Passat 1.8T
89 BMW K100RS
95 MZ Saxon Country
89 Chevy S10 PU