A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

comsumer reports and worst possible rating for A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default comsumer reports and worst possible rating for A6

my dad said consumer reports gave the A6 the worst possible reliability rating. If this is true, WHY? Does the A6 have that many problems or just lots of minor ones and consumer reports doesnt differentiate between small problems and major problems. This also cant include the New 3.0 engine can it? So whats up with the reliablity. My parents will get a new car in a year probably and your replies will help their decision. Thanks
Old 07-16-2002, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I wouldn't honor that mag by wiping my *** with it.

Seriously, they suck. Just look at what they did to Isuzu with the Trooper. They basically told two test drviers to "go tip it over" or something along those lines. Now I'm not saying that the trooper was a 100% safe, but who the hell do they think they are holding a press conference to say that it isn't safe to be driven on any road. Just about anyone can flip any SUV under the right circumstances. You should see the video of the "test" drive. Violent pulls from one side of the road to the other.

-st
Old 07-16-2002, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 40 views and no opinions?

I was hoping someone would refute those bad reliablity claims. Are you saying the A6 isnt a good car to own??
Old 07-16-2002, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: consumer reports and worst possible rating for A6. (note correct spelling) (more)....

Consumer Reports worships Ralph Nader and such types. What does that tell you? Did you ever look at the backgrounds of people running for their Board? Every kind of far left liberal. (I guess they would be right at home in San Francisco). Anyhow, what turns that type of person on, is far different from what turns on a car lover. And, I think their stats are skewed the way they want them. Still can't figure what they have against Audi, however. Part of it is that they give no points for quality of materials, and fit and finish, or quattro. So the best we can wish for them is for them to be caught in a lot of snow. Every day.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:09 AM

Default consumer reports is for washing machines and lawn mowers

Forget it if you are a car nut or for any other gadget or hobby to be really into. I don't look at it for car reports. I NOT into lawn mowers or toasters and I will let them do the research.

For that kind of stuff and not cars, it is OK.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default We are sooo tired of bashing CR.

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/search/">Try here</a></li></ul>
Old 07-16-2002, 09:12 AM

Default Well, it's gonna be their car

If they're concerned about the A6, don't force them to get one because you'll never hear the end of it. Every little thing that happens, they'll rant and rave at you because "you made them buy it."

Most folks are better off with a Maxima/Camry/Accord and will be much happier with one, so push them in that direction. That's not a criticism, just an obvious statement of fact.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:13 AM

They tested toilet paper last year--
Old 07-16-2002, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The 2000 MY took some pretty bad hits...

There was the fuel sender recall that hit the 2000 and early 2001 cars and several other things that have gone wrong like the Bose stereo that skipped stations. Some of these problems were attributed to the 2.7T turbo engine and the normally aspirated versions (4.2 and 3.0) will have less problems. The 3.0 is new for this MY BTW. The 2001 cars had better reliability than the 2000's and the 2002 cars appear to be better than the 2001's.

The consensus here seems to be that the car is worth the trouble. You won't find a more enjoyable car for the price. If your parents are in the market for a 2003 MY I would highly recommend the A6. Any problems will be handled under the 4 year/50,000 warranty. Even wiper blades and disc pads are covered. Just do some research on your dealer(s) to see how satified Audi owners are that use them.

And give us a little more time to respond :-)
Old 07-16-2002, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I believe CR is objective to a fault. They claim to filter out bias by...

... using fact-based surveys; and because the surveys are filled out by consumers, they have to be simplistic. Unfortunately, simplistic surveys yield imperfect results.

CR does not care about materials quality, or styling, or fundamentally superior engineering. A flawless, ancient pushrod V6 will always beat a 30 valve, VVT V6 using the CR formula. There's no consideration for quality of engineering, or subtle performance beyond the stopwatch.

The only irreconcilable downside is that CR ratings affect value.

Quick Reply: comsumer reports and worst possible rating for A6