A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

comsumer reports and worst possible rating for A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am sure there is some truth to that rating

Most 2.7 owners complaint about the warping brake calipers and mine had some annoying rattles and creak. there is even some paint discoloration and bad exterior chrome trim fit. And theres that rude Audi dealer service department that's not very helpful and even told me not the hold down the brake too long so the brake won't warp!!!!!
Audi services sucks and is no where near the MB, Lexus, and Infinite standards. But I guess that how they kept the cost lower than the others.

However, did all that affect my passions for Audi, a little, but many other great attributes will likely to overcome those.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My reply

First off, thanks for all your replies.
2nd my parents currently have one A6 2.8 avant and love it. But they do want their next car to have more power, and possibly stick shift (limiting to A4 3.0 or A6 2.7T). I am encouraging them to get the A4 3.0 because it will be more reliable than the 2.7T. But I think my mom will get lots of attention zooming around in a 2.7T stick, and it would be lots of fun. She loves driving my S4. I had my radiator break already at 4000 miles, and have heard other stories, but I think if maintained its a fine engine. PLus my mom doesnt drive like a maniac.
I agree that consumer reports is not very reliable for auto reports, my dad just wanted an explanation as he does not read this board and does not pay as much attention to cars.
Happy driving.
-Mark
Old 07-16-2002, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Its how they do the ratings....

First, the only data they use are from CR subscribers who respond to the ownership survey. How many A6 owners are CR subscribers. Who fills out the survey; M or F. Do they know anything at all about cars? The sample is likely so small its meaningless for most up-scale cars (except Volvos no doubt).

Second, the CR subcribers are generally an **** bunch who complain about the most trivial issues. Who else would subscribe to a magazine to read about toasters and laundry soap?

Third, the surveys are set up to give cover to the mediocre. All problems are viewed with equal weight. If an A6 were to have three warranty fixes; say, a drifting radio tuner, a fuel gauge, and maybe a squeeky back seat, and a BWM had only one to replace a blown transmission that left its owner stranded in Death Valley, BMW wins the better rating.

CR is way out of its depth in rating automobiles.
Do you want Saturn-driving concerned soccer moms picking your next car?

19K trouble-free miles on my '01 2.7T and loving every minute of it.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Jack, please, tell us how you FEEL...

j/k but I absolutely agree with you!

They claim to be objective with their tests and surveys but what they won't tell you the whole story. They are human and because of their built-in bias the results are skewed. And they aren't just a little biased.

And this brings up another rant related to another magazine. For years I loved Scientific American. I still love reading 95% of their articles but now they insist on making social commentary a part of their "science". And what's more they pass it off as objective without presenting competing views or theories like they do for their other articles. And what pisses me off more is that this is trickling into the schools. At least the government still lets me talk to my kids so I can deprogram them after reading and being taught all this crap.

OK, I'm done. Sorry, but you touched a nerve ;-(
Old 07-16-2002, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Potomac and Ft. Worth, do you ever attend MD audi meets?

Just curious. I am in New mexico now but normally I live in MD. My parents would love talking to you about the 2.7T and perhaps riding in it if you dont mind.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't even pick up CR... find thier auto content to be absolutely useless.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:59 AM

"Infinite standards"? nothing would be up to those standards. but I agree, AOA has work to do.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I get to DC about once a decade...

It probably doesn't coincide with an Audi meet though :-)

BTW, any mom who wants an A6 turbo 6 speed is cool in my book.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I can unequivocally endorse the A6. I have had no issues...

with either my 1998 A6 2.8 or my 2002 A6 2.7T. The only problem was the fuel sender unit (subject of a model-wide recall). If you look at the user problem survey, the A6 has been getting better each year. I think CR's refusal to recommend the A6 will change once they get one more model year of data. In essence, the problems are those of the past (99& 00 models years).
Old 07-16-2002, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default More reliable?

Turbos have come a long long way and you shouldn't assume a 2.7T reliability will be any less than a 3.0. As long as they get oil, there's little in a turbo system to cause a problem. My son's turbodeisel went over 330K miles without a turbo failure...and that's comparatively primative '84 turbo technology.

Quick Reply: comsumer reports and worst possible rating for A6