A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Considering A6 S-line ('04)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering A6 S-line ('04)

Hi guys, I am considering buying a CPO '04 A6 2.7T S-line. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bottom line:
What do you think is a good price for this car? And what do I need to worry about?

They are willing to come down to 16K + TTL

The online price was 17K (sticker said 20K - I guess anyone walking in without checking online is target for a fat profit), so they were quickly willing to knock 1K off but otherwise wouldn't go any lower.

Here are the pics:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail/photos/multiPhotoPopup.jsp?paId=292716328&tracktype=u sedcc&isuper=true&aff=national#0

Description:
"This is a Certified Pre-Owned 2004 Audi A6 2.7T S-Line in SIlver with Black Interior and 47,305 miles. Vehicle was originally sold and serviced at our dealership. Just traded in. Vehicle is equipped with Leather, Moonroof, Heated Seats, Bose Sound Package, Memory Seats, Xenon Headlamps, Homelink + MORE! Audi Certified Vehicles go through a 300+ inspection process to qualify and are backed by Audi's 6 Year/100k Certified Pre-Owned Warranty at no additional cost to you. This vehicle is in excellent condition both mechanically and cosmetically, don't delay!"

The miles are a bit more than I would like, at 48K, but more importantly the carfax shows the car being first registered in May 04, so Im guessing the CPO warranty would last til May 2010 - not quite the 2 years of warranty I was hoping for.

The car drove well during the brief test drive. Took it up to 60 a couple of times on the streets close to the dealership, nowhere else to go. No noticeable lag from the biturbo V6; acceleration is almost as effortless as the 280hp I am used to.

To be honest, during the test drive I didn't think we'd be close to buying it. It's my gf who's buying the car, and she was so unhappy about the small things missing (no bluetooth, no MP3/WMA CD changer, no second cupholder up front, not enough storage space) vs. her previous car ('06 G35x) that I doubted her pseudo lowball offer would be close to a sale.

Cosmetic condition is very good from what I saw - couple chips on the black grille, one tiny blemish on the paint, the small wood panel around the headlight switch has a crack. I did not check the wheels for curb rash. As mentioned above, I didn't think we'd be close to a deal.

My brother had a '05.5 S4 Avant (sweet car) and my dad had an Audi 80 back in the day. Let's see if another Audi will join our clan.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default A6's are great cars. Don't worry about the milage as long as

the car has been well maintained. Engines are not the things for you to worry about. There are million stories about turbo failtures, but if the car is stock, never been chiped and driven by mature person than you shouldn't worry. Most younger gear heads go for S4's and that is where you see more turbo failures. Not that it is impossible, just less likely. Electronics are another story but I think it is hard to find a better German car for simmilar price that offers great looking exterior, turbos (you get 2), extremly comfortable interior and a the idea that you are driving German car.

Good Luck...
Old 11-29-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The price is right where it should be. Single owner is a plus, as well as Audi warranty.

The second cupholder can be added, no issue there.

MP3 and Bluetooth as well.

What I have a question on is, how does an A6 not have enough storage space compared to a G35??
Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 PM

The mileage is right at the 12K/year or 1K/month level. Right where it should be.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: A6's are great cars. Don't worry about the milage as long as

Yeah I've heard about the turbo failures - is that why Audi exited the biturbo setup (in N. America at least) in its sedans?

It's just ironic that, at the same time, BMW developed a TT 3.0L I6 and Mercedes biturbo'd their V12.

Anyway, the car is CPO for another 18 months (assuming the in-service date is 5/04) or 50K miles, so am I right to assume we're protected against turbo, electrical or any other reliability issues for that duration? Is there anything I need to check?
Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The price is right where it should be. Single owner is a plus, as well as Audi warranty.

Carfax shows 2 owners, the 1st being a 3yr lease and then 1 yr 4 months ownership by the 2nd owner. The CPO warranty is crucial - don't think I'd advise a non-enthusiast to get a biturbo Audi without a warranty.

SO you guys think the price is right at 16K + TTL?

I'll do a search on ipod/aux input as that's probably more useful than playing Mp3 CDs. I told her to skip the bluetooth as her new garmin GPS nav has BT ("but my old car has bluetooth!" - women, go figure).

By storage space, she meant storage inside the passenger compartment. I'm sure the A6's trunk is larger. But honestly the G35 does have more interior storage - for starters, the center console box is much larger in the G (wider and taller). Then there is the 2nd glovebox, the coin box (for want of a better name) beside the cig lighter, and then a largeish box in the dash for cars that don't have the popup nav system.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:16 PM

Default The majority of turbo failure issues come from aftermarket chipping the ECU..

...boosting up the turbo output, and improper "turbo etiquette" - No warming up, and/or allowing the turbos to cool down after usage.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:33 PM

Default See for yourself as far as the price goes....

...check out Edmunds.com.

It will give you what they call "True Market Value", and show you the value with a CPO warranty. The warranty is not a cheap "throw it in to make the sale" item.

I priced it out, and it came to $18K.

The A6 has nice pop open door storage pockets which lots of people like. Not sure if you/she noticed those.

Oh, one other thing..when you post your next response to a previous post...change the "Subject", and start your response there
Old 11-29-2008, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just realized something about CPO length of coverage

This car's CPO coverage should last exactly 2 years from my date of purchase, right? I found this in the CPO e-brochure on Audi's website:

"If there is no Audi Limited New Vehicle Warranty remaining: If the Audi Limited New Vehicle Warranty has expired at the time of
Certified pre-owned purchase, the Audi Certified pre-owned Limited Warranty provides coverage from the Certified pre-owned
purchase date for 2 years or up to 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. In no event will coverage exceed 100,000 total vehicle miles."

I'd been thinking about CPO in terms of the new car warranty still existing, and therefore the 4+2 years being calculated from the in-service date. But here the new car warranty is over, so regardless of the inservice date there should be a 2yr warranty starting at the date of purchase.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:22 PM

Default Checking back on the info you provided, the standard warranty was up in..

..May of this year.

The one question I have though, is when the car was re-sold to to the second owner after the lease, was a CPO warranty started at that time?

Quick Reply: Considering A6 S-line ('04)