A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Considering A6 S-line ('04)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Thanks, but my mad skilz are not as much of a factor as you might think.

She who drives makes the call on this one. She is a C5'er as long as she is happy in this car. Once this car lets her down or once she tires of it, we'll be movin' on (up?)

I'm guessing you don't have your new wheels yet? What's the update?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default With my little "detour" to the hospital, the car I had test drove and negotiated a deal on..

...wound up getting sold out from under me.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought my '04 S-Line last year and faced many of the same issues you're facing...

...and trust me, I paid a hell of a lot more for my car (without the CPO benefit although I did have some of the new car warranty remaining) than you're being asked to pay for this one. Not only that, you have the benefit of the previous owner's insight. That's probably one of the best reasons to buy the car right there. If you're really leery of the CPO warranty duration, just buy an additional extended warranty plan. Truth be told, that's all a CPO car is anyway - with a few qualifiers thrown-in.
In any case, I absolutely love the car - as does my wife who is its primary driver. And perhaps just as importantly, your friends will love it too. Even though the published dimensions don't seen to bear it out, for some reason the back seat of an A6 seems much larger to me than a 5-Series Beemer or E-Class Mercedes. From a design standpoint, while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, we actually prefer the styling of the C5 (at least the front end; although the S-Line's RS6 spoiler helps make the *** more bearable). Plus, I like the fact that you can, if so moved, easily modify the car to leapfrog the performance of its V8-engined sibling. And Silver over Black, what a great combination on this body; it was my second choice when we were shopping.
As far as reliability is concerned, we've had absolutely no deal-breaking problems with the car. We've replaced one window regulator, the instrument cluster, the trunk latch, and the brake light switch - all under warranty - and that's it.
While reliability is certainly an important attribute, as an enthusiast I'm just as concerned with the car's performance. And here there's no disappointments. Dynamically and ergonomically the car is amazing. We make 200 mile runs to Portland, OR quite frequently. On a route that is split about evenly between two-lane highways (including a mountain pass) and four-lane Interstate, the car is absolutely right in its element: Plenty of power to pass, quiet on the highway with very little wind noise, comfortable, and good fuel economy. Throw in the all-weather capabilities of quattro and the A6 is hard to beat. In fact while on the return leg of one of our Portland trips last winter, we ran into a pretty decent snow storm climbing up out of the Columbia Gorge. It was about 2am and the plows weren't out yet so we WERE the snowplow! I didn't hesitate for a second and the A6 never put a foot wrong. In fact I would put an A6, equipped with quattro, ESP, traction control, ABS brakes, and snow tires, up against any other vehicle you can name for winter driving. Quite simply, when you factor in things like price, design, quality, performance, versatility, safety, reliability, economy, interior space, and available features, the A6 platform, in its quattro guise, is one of the best all-around vehicles on the road today in my opinion.
So yeah, I like my car and I'm guessing you guys would too. At that price, depending on how it's equipped, you're buying a world-class German sports sedan for roughly 1/3 its original retail!
Finally (and I'll quit, promise), I don't know what's going on with the sound system's inability to play MP3-encoded CD's. I have the Bose system in my car too and it's perfectly capable of playing MP3 CD's. Unless someone else has any insight, it might be something to check into. Like I said; that's it I'm done. Good luck and if you guys do buy the car, enjoy. I'm sure you'll find this forum as helpful, friendly and informative as I have.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:18 AM
Tech Guru

Default The Audi gods can apparently resort to extreme measures, I guess.

Bad joke, I suppose.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default fantastic write-up dave

definitely appreciate the info, advice and insight from everyone here!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol...that's one way of looking at it.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default So I'm going to call them and try to work out a deal

I'm going to call them back today or tomorrow...

Documentation:
CPO Inspection checklist - they should provide this, right?
Service/maintenance history - their ad says this car was serviced at their dealership (some dealers claim they are not allowed to give it out). any experience regarding this?

Small things:
Gf wants a replacement for the wood piece around the headlight switch. Salesperson said in a very non-committal way that they could order it but it may not be available.
Badges - not that important to me, but if they have them, great. it's just 2 badges, right? "A6" on the left and "2.7t Quattro" on the right.
Floormats - how much do they normally cost?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I bought my car CPO two years ago. Dealer had no problem giving me a copy of the CPO checklist,

including a printout of the VAGCOM diagnostic test results, and a printout of the dealer service history. Having said that, be forwarned that dealers often fudge the CPO checklist and, therefore, it should be taken with a large grain of salt.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks everyone for your help...

My gf bought the car on monday night. I've driven it on a couple occassions so far and am pretty psyched. I love the S-line looks...

FYI for anyone else buying a CPO after the new car warranty (4yr/50K) has expired: This one (I presume by default) was given a CPO warranty ending on the 6th anniversay of the original in-service date.

A couple calls to Audi USA and some persistence eventually led them to admit it should be 2 years from date of this purchase (i.e. regardless of previous in-service date or previous CPO warranty).
Old 12-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Tech Guru

Congrats!