A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Considering a new 2001 4.2...Pros and Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a new 2001 4.2...Pros and Cons?

"New" as in leftover I should say. Local dealer has a new 2001 A6 4.2 with an MSRP around $53k on which he's offering to make me an offer I can't refuse. I've not yet seen the car, but I've been shopping 2.7Ts to this point and really like and admire the V8 cars.

I'm curious what the pros and cons are of the 4.2 V8 over the 2.7 bituro. I currently own a 2k S4 and a'99 ML430 (which I'm trading for the A6) so I'm not quite an Audi virgin (also had a '98 A4 2.8qms). Problem areas? Options to avoid or to make sure I get? Anything I might want to know upfront?

I appreciate the insight and experience on this board. Thanks in advance for your advice and information.

Mike
Old 01-26-2002, 11:12 AM

Frankly, I loved my 00' 4.2 until the semi-truck drove over it. My dealer was the only problem.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've driven the 4.2 and don't miss your 2.7T motor, than it is all positive to go 4.2.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Deal should be close to invoice, this is a 1 1/2 year old car.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't consider it...GET IT!

These were my thoughts after 3 months...and they are still very accurate...
The 4.2 is awesome...the 2.7T is excellent also, but I chose the 4.2 over the 2.7T for a few reasons...
1. Looks...no doubt, the big fat fenders, the lower stance, the 5-spoke sport wheels, the larger, squared off grille make the 4.2 look more muscular and aggressive than the 2.7T.
2. Power...true the 2.7T can be chipped to exceed the 4.2, but I prefer a V8 with smooth grunting power with lower revs than a turbocharged, higher revving V6. I don't like turbo whine or lag. I don't like tip lag either, but I'm working my way around that...figuring out how the car likes to be pushed to minimize delay. I also would be annoyed if I felt I had to be gentle and warm it up real good before giving it to the turbos, plus, I'd be annoyed about the "cool down" period. It actually, probably wouldn't be a problem most times, but it would still annoy me. Obviously, if you want a stick, no choice but 2.7T. Smoother and gruntier...I like that.
3. Luxury: the 4.2 has a few luxury items standard that the 2.7T has as options or unavailable. The one I like the most is the power telescoping and memorized steering wheel. It moves up and away when you go to get out, then comes back when you get in and close the door. Nice little touch.
4. Rarity: the 4.2 is much less common which I also like.

Both are excellent, it is just that the 4.2 fit me better...for many (even most) the 2.7T is the better choice.

What kinda deal are they offering?

I hope it is a few thousand below INVOICE, as the car is now one year old.
Keep in mind that 4.2s (in most parts of the U.S.) can be had for $2000-$3000 above invoice, so if they are only offering invoice, you are really only saving $2-3k and losing much more than that immediately on the hypothetical resale, plus missing out on some improvements for the 2002 model.
A brief list of these improvements include:
1. Less boosted steering (628 relay vs 605)
2. Improved suspension (more aluminum and magnesium and some revisions, unclear what? to improve handling and ride)
3. Quieter (less wind noise) (? thicker glass)
4. Sport mode tiptronic
5. Tip controls on steering wheel
6. 6-disc in-dash CD changer
7. Exposed exhaust tips (good or bad?)
8. Chrome rings around gauges (good or bad?)
9. Ability to choose all the options you want (priceless)

One last comment: absolutely, get the sport package with sport seats...an absolute must.

One more regarding other options: there aren't many but:
1. Nav (your choice)
2. Parktronic (with Nav in '01, separate in '02) could be beneficial for many, not a deal breaker though
3. Rear air bags...not a deal breaker, but I like 'em
4. Warm weather pkg...love the power rear window shade...use it all the time...
5. Rear seat heaters...those rear passengers count too
6. Sport package...again mandatory

I can't remember anymore, but enjoy, it is an awesome car <ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/116795.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/116795.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-26-2002, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Should be several thousand below invoice, IMO...this is a 1 1/2 year old car...

Don't bail the dealer out...they have an old new used car...they wouldn't bail you out, you shouldn't bail them out. If they want invoice, I say "screw that bulls**t", buy an '02 for $2k more and when you walk out the door, you will have already saved $8k in depreciation vs. the '01.
Old 01-26-2002, 02:00 PM
Craggy Old Man

Default 4.2's are nice

Less headaches with that motor. You get the flared wheel wells. Maybe smoother acceleration with half, full throttle. With exhaust the car gets up and goes.
The 2.7T has virtually same performance, less cost, but some features you dont get on the 2.7t that you would on the 4.2,flares,,,,,.
Maybe even slip a GIAC Tip chip into a spare TCU and enjoy some faster shifts.
Old 01-26-2002, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One benefit of 2001 4.2 - it has the new "face" (other comparison in msg)...

The 2001 2.7T has the obsolete grille appearance. The 4.2 also has the great flared fenders and such.

Now, I bought my 4.2 for $1000 over invoice (then took off $1000 thanks to Audi loyalty coupon in the mail). That meant about $48k for a car exactly to my specifications... and the 2002's had not arrived yet. Nor had the economy tanked, or the terrorists attacked (June).

So don' t let him talk you into a price that isn't well below invoice. Otherwise, the 2002 is a better deal (perhaps $2500-3000 off MSRP?) with improved suspension, tip programming, sport shift, exhaust tips, quieter interior, improved braking, firmer steering with better feel, better resale, and more. Those changes are worth the money (think of them as aftermarket mods... most of us would pay big bucks for them).

The only reason I went for a 2001 was the $1000 coupon, and the color Nemo Blue was going extinct (plus bundling of options that suited me).

As for 2.7T vs 4.2, I decided that the increased price was worth it to not have the biturbo engine. Reliability of the 2.7T is pretty good on (at least unchipped) A6s, but not so much on the S4. Still we needed to use our aftermarket warranty to replace a turbon on our 1997 A4 (non-chipped). I refuse to chip a biturbo (even our 1.8T), so the 4.2 is the only way to get the horsepower and torque.

The 4.2 is a little heavier, but the wider track and suspension make up for it in actual performance (although one still feels it a bit). There is a modest penalty in mileage, which if you travel 1000 miles a week might make a big difference.

The 4.2 also has amenities like the steering wheel which retracts when you get in/out (very helpful for a big guy), and other features.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No manual on the 4.2 and the 2.7T is quicker to 60. If you are interested in chipping

then you pretty much have to go with the 2.7T. Overall, personally, the 4.2 doesn't make sense to me. You get a couple of more bells and whistles and of course the flared fenders and 255 rubber. I just wish it was a stick, then I would love the 4.2.

-st
Old 01-26-2002, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ditto, at least $1K below invoice. Oh, & get the sports package if you like the feeling of your S4.

Quick Reply: Considering a new 2001 4.2...Pros and Cons?