A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Coolant Leak Follow-Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coolant Leak Follow-Up

Ok, so I've had many threads on here about my coolant leak that I have been trying to hunt down. A couple months ago I took off the intake to look at the aux. pump, but it wasn't even there - someone installed a kit to relocate the pump before I bought the car. Everything seemed fine, and eventually I decided it must be the water pump or T-stat area, and I would take it apart during the summer when I do a timing belt change.

Well, I was replacing some hoses on the car and noticed a puddle of coolant under the intake manifold. It was obvious now. The elbow that was installed in place of the pump appeared to be leaking.

I took it all apart yesterday, and the elbow doesn't look cracked or anything. There was also some coolant caked on a pipe just below the T-fitting for the hose that connects the aux. pump to the pipe near the fire wall. So, I took off that hose to see if the hose was leaking, which could allow coolant to travel down the hose to where the t-fitting was. Nothing.

In the process of removing the hose, it got pretty beat up. I decided to remove both hoses and put in 1 section of heater hose without an elbow. The hose, if cut to the right length, has a slight U shaped bend with almost no crimping that allows it to clear the sensor on the bottom of the intake when it is put down.

Does anyone see any issues with this? I know they make an aftermarket hose that is shaped for this...but I need to get the car back together and don't have time to wait.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Only problem I see is longevity of the hose...depends on the quality, etc. Given the aggro associated with getting that intake off if you have to replace the bit of heater hose.....
Get the best piece of heater hose you can find, silicone if possible, like cop-car durability.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Sloop. I am dreading going back in there again, but I've got 230,000 on the car right now and I will have over 300,000 in 2 years...so if it can hold out that long I will be more than happy.

I had to get it all back together and my options this weekend were limited, so I used the heater hose I had, which has held up in other cars but is not silicone I don't think. It may require surgery again, but I had to do it I guess.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe this will turn out to be my coolant leak and my problem will be solved...time will tell.