A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Coolant leak - front driver's side

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak - front driver's side

I have not had a chance to get under the car, but the last few times I parked in my garage and then pulled out from my spot, there was some coolant on the ground under the driver's side front bumper. I put my hand under the fog light area on the bumper and it was wet.
It is not a big leak nor is it steady.
Any ideas?

The level in the resevoir tank is between min and max.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Pink--coolant for sure? Check the upper radiator hose--if that's starting to back off it could spray coolant everywhere. Make sure it's really, truly seated and the clamp wire is all the way latched. A light smear of liquid soap helps seat the hose--it's very hard otherwise. (A $60 hose that does the work of a $20 hose and a $2 clamp--only less well.) Also near the coolant bottle there's a plastic T, which I certainly managed to crack easily! That's a bit farther back, but a candidate.

There are some transverse coolant lines below and in front of the engine. A leak could maybe spray in there, but I'd expect that more in the middle or the right.

My car doesn't have a radiator draincock--don't know if that could make the fog light area wet.

If it was washer fluid instead of coolant, there's a hose joint right in the area you're talking about. Just wishin'--that'd be easy!

Any recent work? Timing belt, serp belt, alternator, starter, etc all require the nose to go to the "service position", which demates that radiator hose.

Is it a 2.7t? The aux coolant pump is prone to failing/leaking, but I don't see how that could get to the fog lamp bay.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jett'in
I have not had a chance to get under the car, but the last few times I parked in my garage and then pulled out from my spot, there was some coolant on the ground under the driver's side front bumper. I put my hand under the fog light area on the bumper and it was wet.
It is not a big leak nor is it steady.
Any ideas?

The level in the resevoir tank is between min and max.
Pay attention to the reservoir level just to be sure you have a leak. If it does not drop, then this fluid may be something else. Anyway, exactly where you described it is wet is where the drain plug is. If it is not completely closed, it may leak. Also this side (upper) is where the hose get into the radiator. This may be your problem. Bad hose or simply loose. This is where the coolant fan control switch is also. Further than this, check your radiator. Check.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2009, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful.

It is definitely coolant. clear pink liquid. It only started happening in the last week or so (that I've noticed). I just got the car about 1 month ago, no work was done recently. I will check the radiator hose and the drain plug. I am just getting acquainted with the car. Have not had a chance to get underneath it yet. I was a VW guy before this, owning a few different Jettas. Very easy to work on and more room in the engine bay. There is a lot more to work with, with much less space on this car....
Old 01-10-2010, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The car sat for a few weeks while I was back in NY for the holidays. There was a good amount of coolant that collected on the front left side of the car. Now the level is about a half inch below MIN, and now I know it is a legitimate leak.

I need to get this checked out. With the weather this cold, I can't get under it to look myself. I hope it is not something costly, and if it is I hope my aftermarket extended warranty covers it.

fmstocco, How can I get to that drain plug (pictured)?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jett'in
fmstocco, How can I get to that drain plug (pictured)?
The easiest way is to remove the fog light grill on the driver side. Just pull it. Inside, maybe you will have a piece of rubber covering the radiator. Push this aside and you will see a kind of + screw head like the pic. This is it.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check this thread too...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...d+weather+leak