A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Coolant leak halp!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak halp!

So I discover on the driveway a coolant...take my car to an indy (kind of expensive) they say it's the water pump (although I was confused by this because the first time I replaced it a few years ago they told me it only leaks while running by design?)

Before they tell me it's the pump they keep it over night, pressure test it, tell me there's no leaks but an old hose or two may be leaking when cold. So they change those out, along with the expansion tank that has a small leak at the sensor, not too bad $ wise, and then after I take it back again they say it's the water pump.

I take it to another indy I know, who's cheaper, and he replaces the water pump and gaskets (fixes an oil leak I had too, rear gasket). He tells me when he was changing out the pump he notice the pipe under the intake manifold was not looking good and will probably need to be changed (why he didn't tell me why it was all apart is another issue). BUT, it looks like both leaks are gone.

A few days later the coolant leak reappears.

Anyway, is there anything else I can have them check??? I searched and besides the pump and the hose/pipe under the intake, is there another area that tends to be the culprit I could direct them to? The coolant leak is not huge...the level doesn't seem to move much at all, but enough to leave little one to two inch puddles on the driveway in the mornings. Correction, it doesn't move much NOW...I had to put some coolant in a couple of times before I had the pump changed.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post!
Old 06-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, sorry for the grammar...sheesh. :/
Old 06-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

And this might help: 2001, 2.7t
Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

2.7T has an auxiliary coolant pump on the rear of the engine over the bell housing. Mine was leaking from there, but usually vaporized before it hit the floor. When I had the clutch replaced, they found the "evidence" of the antifreeze trail on the rear of the engine. It's not an expensive part (~$115) but it is difficult to access and replace. One of the things I did was buy some radiator sealer, which is often not a good idea. It did stop the leaking for quite a while, but it was bound to return so I had the pump replaced when they were working on the clutch/flywheel. All this started around 60k and I had the repair work done at 90k and I now have 140k on the vehicle and no leak.