A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Coolant near aux water pump, but replaced it 11k ago...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant near aux water pump, but replaced it 11k ago...

Arrg...there is coolant under the intake manifold after replacing the aux pump 2 years and 11K ago (not a lot of driving in that time). Looking closely with a small mirror the underside of the hoses in the pump hose clamp area look dry and even the bottom and drivers side of the pump appears very dry. Even the O ring in the block after cleaning out the coolant and driving 10 miles appears dry. During the drive some coolant either reappeared or distributed out from the drivers side hard water line where it can be seen. I am reluctant to tear it apart if I cannot see where the coolant is coming, but what prompted this is the coolant after a long 400 mi drive collected in the belly pan and ran out on the garage floor....Previously on the old pump the leak was obvious - actually weeping out below the connector on the aft end. At that time I did not replace the lines or o ring in the block, but did add real hose clamps.

Short of tearing it apart it appears very puzzling. I cannot see the passengers bottom side of the pump, but the fluid seems to be coming or seeping out after cleaning from the drivers side....

The current plan is to drive it some more and watch the fluid. Curiously the radiator return hose connection above the oil filter (toward the center of the engine) appears wet, but this area I don't remember having cleaned, and the dried fluid trail appears on the bell housing. Below the return hose does not appear to be wet.....Did the timing belt etc last spring, and all the front end stuff is very sparkly.

Any comments on what to do other than the obvious clean it up, drive it and if fluid appears in the area, just tear it apart and replace everything if it is not obvious after removing the intake manifold?
Per Bentley and the various pics the culprits seem to be the pump and possible its two hoses....

Puzzled,

Thanks,
F
Old 12-19-2010, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On which side did the fluid drip off the (belly) pan ?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Center of bell housing dripping from drivers side & some from further left

Originally Posted by RMsALFA
On which side did the fluid drip off the (belly) pan ?
Seems to be a split. Some fluid further left seems to drip off the dome (engine mount) cover area below the left turbo. Definite tracks on the left side of the bell housing, could be old although probably not. I need to drive further but it makes me suspicious of the wet appearing upper radiator hose fitting to the engine (above the oil filter, but further forward). I am thinking this hose connect debris/wet is just an artifact of not being cleaned during timing belt work. That said, I practiced my double jointed long reach clean up of the fitting and drive. That is one buried fitting. I have never seen two leaks form at the same time....that is, a radiator hose and aux pump area leak.

The bulk of the spill after the long drive was from the left area of the belly pan.

Thx
Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK - thanks.

I had a similar intermittant leak right when it turned cold outside. However, it was coming out from the far right side of the pan, in front of the tire. When it leaked, there was a strong coolant smell so I suspected the aux pump with the spill cooking on the engine.

Strangely enough, it stopped on it's own (for now - eek). Good luck with yours.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That sounds like the radiator lower hose connection.....or the radiator itself. The hose has a very large o ring that is held in place by a circlip. That connection should be very inspectable....
Cheers
Old 12-19-2010, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for that - I haven't had time to get it in the air. It's a 'yellow alert' issue for now, since it "stopped".

In the last 6-8 months, it's been one thing after another (alternator, TRE's, signal stalk, flasher relay, ect). Happily, I had a complete timing belt service last year with replacement of all THOSE usual suspects.

I would consider passing the car on but I know I'll never again be in a position to buy another new vehicle as good

Last edited by RMsALFA; 12-19-2010 at 09:35 AM.