A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Coolant temp gauge suddenly reads 50% lower

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant temp gauge suddenly reads 50% lower

For about 2 months, my aux water pump on my 2000 A6 2.7t has been progressively leaking more and more. I topped off the coolant reservoir with approved pink Audi coolant and never let it run dry.
I changed out the aux water pump last week, and have been driving it for about 5 days with everything operating normally.

Today I noticed that the coolant temperature gauge took a long time to rise (longer than normal) and settled at about 1/8 or 1/4 of the way up while highway driving, instead of the normal 50% to 60%. When driving slowly in a parking lot or neighborhood, the temp gauge creeps up to about 40%. The first time I noticed the coolant temp gauge acting strangely, I saw it rise up to about 70% of the way to hot and then fairly quickly drop down to below 50% - as if the thermostat was opening.

The thermostat and water pump have 5000 miles on them.

Any ideas?
Old 09-23-2011, 02:56 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

When was the last time you replaced the coolant temp sensor (well documented as a common failure item)?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
When was the last time you replaced the coolant temp sensor (well documented as a common failure item)?
Never, but thanks for that tidbit! I'll check it out.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Who did the thermostat and water pump replacement? I assume it was done at the same time as TB replacement.

If a shop did the waterpump and thermostat get back to them...the thermostats have been known to fail.

Otherwise check the temp sensor (easy enough to replace anyway) but be prepared to replace the thermostat.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I did the t-stat and water pump at the same time as timing belt and everything else associated with that job. I hope that's not what it is because it will be on me except for Blau Parts would probably cover the thermostat cost.

I see that I have the green sensor, so will be ordering one of those today.

How much of the coolant needs to be drained to replace the sensor without spilling it all over the place?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the coolant is not hot, you will probably lose a minimal amount when you pull the sensor. Put some paper towels around the plug to keep this down even more and replace quickly. If the coolant is even a little warm, it will come pouring out pretty quickly....don't do that.

My bet is on the CTS - I think if it was a bad thermostat, it would have to be stuck OPEN in order for your coolant temperature to be lower than normal, and even then, I think it would still be well above half of the normal temperature, but I could be wrong. If it were stuck closed, you'd have high temperature I believe, not low. Maybe I don't get how it works though...
Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by isleblue65
Yes, I did the t-stat and water pump at the same time as timing belt and everything else associated with that job. I hope that's not what it is because it will be on me except for Blau Parts would probably cover the thermostat cost.

How much of the coolant needs to be drained to replace the sensor without spilling it all over the place?
Let the engine cool completely then open the expansion tank cap then recap. You shouldn't lose any coolant now.

You might also have some air in the cooling system. Try bleeding the air out to make sure.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
Let the engine cool completely then open the expansion tank cap then recap. You shouldn't lose any coolant now.

You might also have some air in the cooling system. Try bleeding the air out to make sure.

I agree...the purpose of opening the cap is to equalize pressure....of course, if outside air pressure is higher than inside the tank, you're giving up something. The only problem is when inside pressure is higher than outside, like when the coolant is warm.

When you pop the clip on the CTS to remove the CTS some coolant flows out until the system vacuum locks...just make sure you replace the O-ring and lube it with coolant before installing the new CTS.

You might or might not have to bleed the system after it's been run awhile due to the little bit of air that go in when you replaced the CTS.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by isleblue65

They sell the green sensor at AdvancedAutoParts for about $11. So if you have one near you and wanna get it done ASAP, just call and give them the part number to make sure they have it in stock, swing by and pick it up.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...1903258274____

I have no issues with mines so far, less than 500mi on it though.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

The gauge has never passed the mid mark since that initial time when it rose above. In fact, it hovers at around 1/4 most of the time. I also suspect the CTS.

We don't have Advanced Auto around here, but I'll see if they are part of a conglomerate like Checker/ Kragen/ Schucks/ O'Reilly and maybe one of those stores has the same deal. Can't beat that! Big deal if it fails in a few years as it looks like a 5 minute job.

I'll depressurize the reservoir before removing.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Coolant temp gauge suddenly reads 50% lower