A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

correct way to angle your side view mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default correct way to angle your side view mirrors?

in my experience, the 'correct' way to angle your side view mirrors, is such that there IS NOT A BLINDSPOT. Is that wrong?

That is, when a car is passing you on either lane, it should first be visible in your rear view mirror, then as it gets closer and is no longer visible from that mirror should already be in view of your side view mirror and just as it escapes the view on the mirror comes up right next to your front window so if you were looking at the side view mirror in the first place you would also see the car.

This is how I do it, but I've noticed the overwhelming majority of my friends have the mirror oriented such that they can see the side of their car. Isn't that far too close and defeating the purpose of the side view mirror?

I noticed that my sideview mirrors are smaller than the ones on the B6A4 and much smaller than the ones on my Camry. As a result, I can only see a part of the car at any time - perhaps the reason why euro blindspot mirrors came to fame.

By orienting the mirrors in such a way, am I losing visibility somewhere else that is equally important?
Old 05-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Fear the Miata!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do it the same way as you....
Old 05-18-2007, 01:03 PM

Default If I turn my head and sit forward about 6 inches, I can see the side of my car...

but in driving position I can't, so i'm somewhere between your setting and that of your friends. I don't think i can see the whole blind spot this way, but at least I'm part way into it.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:04 PM
THM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah mine are the same way too
Old 05-18-2007, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My method has always been to position my side mirrors together with my interior mirror

in such a way that I do not have to turn my head to view any of them, and to have the right side mirror set to just catch the right side flank of my car. Virtually eliminates a blind spot.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default im thinking you should adjust the angle or your mirrors, i know for sure than in the c5a6 you can

completely eliminate the blind spot. you should test it first before driving, maybe pull up next to a parked car and see if it ever 'disappears' from your field of vision without you having to physically turn your head over your shoulder.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Exactly. You should never have to turn your head to see what might be in the lane.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Rest In Peace

Default What you explained is correct, you should not see the side of your car.

Basically they show the lanes next to your car on either side. When the car comes too far forward to see in the sideview mirror, you should see it with your peripheral vision.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts

2nd that.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:35 PM

Default That's the right way. It takes a little getting used to...

but those mirrors are called "side view" for a reason. They're not there to replicate what you can see in your "rear view" mirrors.

I cringe every time I stop <i>behind</i> someone at a light, and I can make eye contact with them in their side view mirror. I sure hope they always do a shoulder check before changing lanes, 'cause they have a huge blind spot. If they can't even be bothered to set up their mirrors properly, you probably can't count on that.

Koz.

Quick Reply: correct way to angle your side view mirrors?