A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Cost of changing codes on the Engine Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2000, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: This code give you one touch unlock of all 4 doors too, right?

The particular code I entered, 15977 does allow for unlocking all four doors on one press of the unlock button. You can keep the double press feature if you desire, but it requires a different code.
Ed
Old 03-28-2000, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some dealers are lame

Since I first posted these FAQs a couple of years ago, it's been interesting to watch how dealers react to the coding.

Some dealers keep the codes on hand and code cars to the customer's request as part of the delvery process, and on the other end of the spectrum some dealers claim that Audi has told them not to re-code cars. It's funny they try to use this excuse with people. I think it's just that a lot of dealers' service writers and managers are relatively behind on technology and aren't aware of what can be done with the cars, and are scared of anything more than an oil change or scheduled maintenance.

I have first hand experiece with this from managing a local Porsche/Audi/VW Service dept.

Anyway, most 'service oriented' dealers will perform the coding. The best thing you can do is request the coding change when the car is in for other service. They will be more willing to code the car when they have to plug the computer in for something anyway, not making a special effort to do it.

John
Old 03-28-2000, 09:42 PM

Default Mine was recode for free but ....

despite specifying a code that John Stahmann's FAQ on this board said would
only add a.) remote control of window & sunroof closing, I also ended up with
b.) auto speed lock doors / remove key and unlock doors . We then debated about whether they'd programmed the exact code I requested (that I'd circled for them in a printout of John's FAQ). They insisted that they'd programmed the code that I'd circled. However, I still ended up with features a.) and b.) both added when I only wanted a.) . Although this first programming was free, they were not willing to double check the situation for me.

I've since grown a little fonder of b.) and decided to live with it for now. Someday, when I get my own programming unit for this car, I'll try this programming operation myself to see if I can get exactly the feature set that I really want.
Old 03-29-2000, 05:05 AM
MA6

Default Okay, stupid question

Why would you not want the doors to autolock? From what I've heard, you're safer with locked doors (though I personally don't think it probably makes a difference unless you have kids in the car) and since the car automatically unlocks them when you stop, it sounds like it means you never have to think about your doors' state when you go to use them. I just don't see why someone would definitely not want this as opposed to just being indifferent to it.
Old 03-29-2000, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've not seen how to get autoLOCK without autoUNLOCK too...

...which IMHO is a personal safety hazard wrt car-jackings, robbery, etc... I'd like to be able to get autolock alone. (Audi's autounlock appears much nicer than others in that the doors unlock with the KEY removal, not engine off or tranny in Park.)

You're right about locked door safety in that cars are crash tested with doors locked. Seems I read a write-up some years back about cars with UNlocked doors failing crash tests they'd passed with locked doors. Could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

Richard
'00 A6 2.7Tm
Old 03-29-2000, 08:52 AM
AZ

Default TRUE, my dealer said AoA won't let them

My dealer said they will only do the Auto Lock/Unlock feature, not the Auto windows.

Think I need to give AoA a call
Old 03-29-2000, 02:23 PM
H

Default Re: TRUE, my dealer said AoA won't let them

That's odd. Right after I bought my A6 2.7T, I got a phone survey call from Audi. At the end of the call, the Audi representative went over some of the feature of the car...including that the windows and sunroof can be opened and closed with the remote!

Why would they say this if it doesn't come programed that way and it is against policy to program in this functionality?
Old 03-30-2000, 12:07 AM

Default Here's the hopefully not-stupid answer ...

I don't mind the auto lock. What I don't like is the auto unlock that comes with it. If you "let it do its thing," it unlocks all the door the minute you extract the key. I keep asking, "What if I'm in a really crappy area of town?" In this case, I don't really want my doors to all unlock just because I pulled out the key, at least not until I've first remembered to check around for suspicious strangers and the like.

You can, of course, defeat the auto unlock aspect if you remember to manuualy unlock and then manually relock the doors driving down the road (before you eventually kill the engine and extract the key). If you do all this, it forgets about autounlocking. Of course, you also have to remember to do all this silly manual unlocking / manual relocking, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of having the autolock effect in the first place.
Old 03-30-2000, 05:14 AM

Default Re: Cost of changing codes on the Engine Control Module

The Audi warranty specifically includes one reprograming at NO charge.
Old 03-30-2000, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Cost of changing codes on the Engine Control Module

No cost at all from my dealer. Rockville Porche / Audi

Quick Reply: Cost of changing codes on the Engine Control Module