A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

CPO coverage for engine leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO coverage for engine leaks?

Today I took my car (2001 A6 2.7T) to the dealer for service (Bell Audi in Rahway, NJ), and was told that valve cover gasket and cam adjuster seal are leaking, that these are not covered by my CPO warranty, and will cost me $1600 to fix.
I was amazed, since earlier they fixed my prop cam shaft seal leak under the CPO, and AFAIK any leaks which are not caused by external damage are covered under CPO. I suspect the dealer is playing games, since they would charge me more than the warranty would pay them.
I've contacted AoA, and waiting for their reply. I'm worried that the dealer may tell them that the leaks are because of "improper use" or something, and the AoA won't argue.
Would appreciate your advise, what I can expect from the dealer and AoA, and how I can "motivate" them both to have this problem covered.
Thanks a lot.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Typically, gaskets and seals can be defined as wear and tear items...

which are NOT covered under CPO.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/product/certified_pre_owned.Par.0013.File.pdf">CPO warranty</a></li></ul>
Old 10-31-2006, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The list under "engine" does not say it covers seals and gaskets and the CPO is an inclusionary

contract (if I am using the proper term here) - if the component is not listed, its not covered. Some warranties list only what is not covered and thus all the other parts are covered. thus, CPO is not as good as factory warranty or the Audi Pure Protection (platinum level). I think you are SOL based on the brochure.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:23 AM

Default Funny, as I got these done under CPO. If they really refuse,

I suggest finding an independant, and get them done at the same time as a timing belt job.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The valve cover gasket on my 02 3.0 was covered under CPO just 2 months ago..
Old 10-31-2006, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If anything, this serves as a reminder that CPO coverage varies depending ion the dealer...

I too had some things covered under CPO that others did not, which is why I did not bother hunting for a CPO when I went shopping last year for the 4.2.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:38 AM

Default IMO, the language in the CPO contract is vague on purpose - some dealers will fix certain things and

some will not. I've seen such lattitude under Factory Warranty as well. AoA seems to allow the dealers to adjudicate the warranty - the high volume ones they trust can do more work than low volume/problem dealers.

Ask nicely, but if the dealer says no you generally don't have a lot or recourse.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is typical Bell Audi at work.

Just drive up to Riverside and say "fix it please." Play dumb.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:06 AM

Default Re: This is typical Bell Audi at work.

Thanks. Is Riverside Audi generally better with regard to CPO?
Old 10-31-2006, 08:28 AM
Rest In Peace

Default I belive the CPO warranty is not from Audi, it is another company that they use. >

you can buy it separately and bring your car to an Audi dealership. That is what an independent dealer told me.
So you should be able to contact the warranty company directly and see what is covered.
Then you can tell the dealer to contact the same person at the warranty company if they say yes they cover it.

Some dealers are jerks regarding CPO, and some just fix everything as if it were the Audi warranty on a new car.

Quick Reply: CPO coverage for engine leaks?