A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Crash----the jack collapses!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001, 08:19 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yeah, if you expect to loosen air wrenched lugbolts with that wrench, you are going to be sad

If you loosen your lugnuts and tighten to the recommended 90 ft-lbs, the Audi lug wrench is adequate to remove them. I didn't say good, it sure isn't that.
Old 02-05-2001, 05:01 AM

Default Haven't had any problem with 4.2 jack

Surprisingly well built IMHO.
Old 02-05-2001, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Collapsed down first, then slid backward.

I think I will post a picture of this jack (the "after" photo, of course). It collapsed straight down about an inch first. I realize that prompts most to think that it was not properly placed within the groove, then slipped in, which caused movement, and then rolled back.
BUT, due to knowing this has happened to others, I was extremely careful and triple checked everything was in the right place. To clarify, the car did not roll back, the jack did after the initial 1 inch crunch. The parking brake was set and tight. I didn't have a level with me, but that ground was pretty damn level.
There are two metal spines or grooves that both splayed outward which suggests to me that they gave causing the straight down motion, if it had started to slip, I would have expected these to both bend in the same direction, one in, one out. I will try to make it clearer with a picture.
Either way, no damage was done, so my initial angry (but surprisingly controlled) reaction has been tempered somewhat, and a new considerably heavier duty jack will be in my trunk today. Now I just have to get a new plastic bolt alignment tool as it was snapped off.
One last thought on the jack itself. This did not occur as I was loosening the bolts, but a jack should be able to handle some front to back movement without collapsing or slipping as many people will loosen or tighten their lugs or bolts while fully up on the jack, not that your supposed to, but many do, and if the jack can't take it, a lot of damage both to the car and to the body can occur.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Would recommend to anyone to try out this 1/2 scissor jack a couple times with all 4 wheels still in place to be sure you feel safe with it when you might need it on the side of the road or somewhere. I will feel better with a stronger, heavier one, and it still fits in the hole where the CD changer goes.
Old 02-05-2001, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I use jack stands at home--too big for keeping in the car, however.
Old 02-05-2001, 08:06 AM
Elder Member

Default you have me worried now

I will try my jack on level ground as a test. I don't quite understand how you ended up with any front to back movement though. You did have 3 wheels on the ground and the parking brake set, so the car shouldn't slip forward or backward even if the jack does fall.

That stupid plastic alignment pin. They break just taking them out of the toolkit.
Old 02-05-2001, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Haven't had any problem with 4.2 jack

My full-scissor Honda jack is one to two million times better than this one, but I didn't feel comfortable switching to one designed for a 1700 pound CRX and that it has been used many times and taken much abuse over the past 17 years.
Good luck, hope you don't need it
Old 02-05-2001, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: you have me worried now

Even though, I would swear on a stack of Bibles that everything was done right, I don't rule out the possibility of human (my) error. Given that, my error could only have been minimal and many others with less experience could reasonably be expected to make as much or more error. The jack should be able to accomodate the "average man/woman" 's level of expertise and have some safety margin. People don't change their tires in a vacuum under sunny skies. Safety should be a higher priority than the 3 inches of space saved by a clever 1/2 scissor so it can fit in a styrofoam mold. The car didn't roll back so much as the jack folded backward--it was good actually as it let the car down gently onto the inside of the wheel
Good idea trying it out on level ground--good luck
Pic(s) to come in a few hours--have to do some work first.
Old 02-05-2001, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Steel alignment pin available

Not long ago, somebody posted a URL to some vendor who was selling a steel version of that alignment pin.

Having experience changing a flat on the shoulder of a busy interstate at night, it seemed like reasonable insurance to me.

All this talk has me wanting to order it tonight. I'll post the URL again if I find it.
Old 02-05-2001, 10:09 PM
Elder Member

I bought two, I'll post review tomorrow at top of forum