A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Creaking from front right tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Pull that wheel and lubricate everything that looks like it moves. It's fairly evident when you are looking at it. The tie rod end will be the one that is steering related. Sort of upper and towards the rear.

There are control arms as well so give all them a dose too. There will be a rubber boots on the ball joints so look for those. They can be greased with a syringe but if they are loose it's best to replace them.
I'll pull the wheel when I have some time. I had my tie rod ends replaced with my steering rack two months ago, so I don't want to mess with those.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by thall6594
I'll pull the wheel when I have some time. I had my tie rod ends replaced with my steering rack two months ago, so I don't want to mess with those.
If you can get the front end in the air have someone turn the wheel and see if you can isolate the sqeak. I hope it's not the recent tie rod end work that is the culprit.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
If you can get the front end in the air have someone turn the wheel and see if you can isolate the sqeak. I hope it's not the recent tie rod end work that is the culprit.
I hope that's exactly what it is, I always get my parts and work warrantied. However, the creaking was starting before my rack went out.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Zaphodb17
I've got kind of the same problem with my 2001 A6 W/135k on it. However, it sounds more like the upper bearing plate of the strut assembly. And it only happens when the suspension gets hot, like, 90 degrees or more. When I get the chance, I'll find out what it is and post the results.
I just replaced the left upper forward control arm in my 2001 A6 which had been on the car 13 months, less than 10,000 miles. The ball-joint had rusted completely out and pounded the socket oversize. This was a FEBI control arm from a complete kit I installed from a supplier. The other side is making the same clattering noise. There also is an incredible groaning while turning the steering wheel, coming from what I believe is one or more lower control arms so I'll most likely be visiting replacement of each of those until I find the offender. The supplier was great in the order phase of the parts, but had no sympathy for me regarding what I consider to be extremely low life of the parts they sell. So I'll not be using FEBI parts again. The left side FEBI outer tie-rod end I put on the car at the same time as the control arm kit exhibited delamination of the vulcanized rubber-to-threaded shaft, so I ash-canned that, too and sourced a new replacement. We'll see how OCAP parts hold up...I think what I'm going to do is pry up the lower ball-joint boot retaining ring on each of the 4 lower ball-joints and try to work some lube in. Failing that, I'll just poke a hole in one boot at a time and lube the socket to see if I can isolate the problem.

Last edited by Zaphodb17; 07-16-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: wrong supplier name
Old 09-02-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I have finally found the cause, it was a ripped boot at the end of what I think is a ball joint.

Creaking from front right tire-bnma17j.jpg

Greased it for now, will have it replaced eventually.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by thall6594
So I have finally found the cause, it was a ripped boot at the end of what I think is a ball joint.

Greased it for now, will have it replaced eventually.
The ripped boot wouldn't cause the squeak except for it allowed contamination to get in there.
There's not a lot of lube in there in the first place.
Some people have squirted chassis lube in there, cleaned the boot very good with alcohol and then used silicone seal (black?) to close the tear.
Unless the bj is loose...and you'll know by loading the coil spring and rubber bushing on the UCA (put a jack stand under the lower suspension arms at the carrier under the lower suspension arm bj's and lower the car compressing the coil spring. Wiggle the UCAs...if you can wiggle them or they can be moved up and down, you need to replace the UCA(s) in question.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just filled the boot with some lube and the creaking stopped after a day or so of it being worked in. I don't know if i would be able to repair it, seeing as the tear is pretty good sized.