A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Cupholder too small

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cupholder too small

I've had my A6 for about a month and so far I LOVE it. The only complaint i have thus far is that the cupholder is just a little too small. More often than not I find myself holding my beverage between my thighs because there is no place else to put it. Other vehicles I've owned have been more generous in this regard.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some kind of aftermarket add-on widget to accomodate larger cups in my small audi cupholder?

-steve
Old 10-07-2001, 11:40 AM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Get a cup with a smaller bottom. Brookstone has 'em.
Old 10-07-2001, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Get a cup with a smaller bottom. Brookstone has 'em.

Duh. I don't use it for coffee. But I often stop on the road at a convenience store...and get softdrinks, or bottled iced tea...or even gatorade..whatever. The Audi cupholder is too small for nearly everything. My other cars had problems with obviously large cups...such as a 32 oz big gulp (although my 4-runner could even handle a big gulp!). But my other cars could still handle many other things like snapple bottles, small gatorade bottles, bottled watter, even smaller 32 oz drink cups.

The audi cup holder can't hold hardly anything except for canned soda...

In any case, the solution to my problem is not smaller cups.. I need some kind of cupholder-expander to allow me to use larger cups..

??
Old 10-07-2001, 12:10 PM

Get a minivan...
Old 10-07-2001, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Get a minivan...

man you guys are brutal. I drive an A6 for the same reason as you. If you have a solution to my dilemna...please help..otherwise...clam it...
Old 10-07-2001, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The cupholder between the seats can actually hold 0.5 litre and 20 oz...

bottles very well. Sorry, no help with the Big Gulps and Gatorade, etc...but the ONLY beverages allowed in my car are plastic bottles in the previously mentioned dimensions. The 20 oz bottle is a snug fit, but it really holds it well, the 0.5 litre bottle can tip over during hard turns, but in addition to my many other "car rules" the cap must be on these bottles while in the holder.
The upper dash cup holder is only useful for 0.5 litre bottles or other thin water bottles. Cans fit but are a mortal sin in my car.

Good luck, there are some large plastic cupholders out there that attach in some fashion to the door/window area and others that hook into the dash vents...overall they are quite cheezy appearing, but one could be what you're looking for...perhaps The Sharper Image or Brookstone stores could help.
Old 10-07-2001, 12:29 PM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

No - I mean a "tapered" cup. Like a big gulp with the tapered bottom.
Old 10-07-2001, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd be worried w/a larger container hanging over the counsel, w/more weight that it was designed for
Old 10-07-2001, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The cupholder between the seats can actually hold 0.5 litre and 20 oz...

Be that as it may, all my other vehicles had larger cupholders which accomodated a great many more types of beverages then the current A6 cupholder....regardless of whether some law says they are or are not allowed.

Cheesy cupholders that attach to the door are not an option. Ever tried to turn the steering wheel with something like that attached? No thanks. Neither in the air vents...

by th way, not all 20 oz bottles fit into the Audi cupholder. Maybe some. Not all.
Old 10-07-2001, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: No - I mean a "tapered" cup. Like a big gulp with the tapered bottom.

please explain. Are you saying that I would need to carry this cup around with me and pour the contents of any beverage into the brookstone cup in order to drink it while driving my audi? Not a good enough solution.

Quick Reply: Cupholder too small