A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Cylinder #1 misfire...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder #1 misfire...

Hey guys, this morning I was greeted to a bit of rough idle at start up and a flashing check engine light. I shut off the car and restarted it and the samething...flashing CEL and very slight rough idle. I knew it was misfiring but wasn't sure what cylinder.

Anyways the flashing CEL went to a solid non blinking CEL. I was curious if the car was drivable as the rough idle went away as it warmed up. I drove around the block a bunch and it seems to have full power. It did hickup once after letting it idle at a stop sign. I then drove it for about a 1/2 hour and it never appeared to miss a beat.

I don't have a VAG-COM so I went to the local Zone and they checked the code: P0301 cylinder #1 misfire. OK. Took the car home and pulled the plug, looks fine, maybe old. I haven't changed it since I got the car this year. Got a new plug to put in.

What other things could it be? Wires? Coilpack? Do the coils fail completely or only take 1 cylinder with them sometimes? I thought about switching the plugwires around to see if the misfire jumps. I'll do that after I install new plugs.

All insight appreciated.

I drove the car 450 miles to Ann Arbor the other day and it didn't miss a beat. Let it sit overnight and only moved it shortly yesterday to move cars around. Woke up today and this...woot.

Steve
Old 09-28-2007, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving cars in driveway - that is the only way I have ever gotten a misfire on my S4. I would clear

the code (if you didn't already) and see if you get a CEL again. Firing up these engines for only a minute or so is about the worst thing you can do. If I have to do this, I always take it for a drive around the block (1/2 mile or so) just to avoid this possibility. If the CEL comes back, you could try switching plugs or wires (if possible), but if you have over 100k or more than 7 years on plug wires, IMO it's time to change them. Bad coil (on engine with plug wires - not coil-on-plug) should misfire random multiple cylinders. If it is only 1 cylinder and always the same, then you have bad wire or plug.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:02 AM

Default My car had a horrible mis-fire once. Turns out I had left one of the coil connectors

a little loose after doing my plugs, and it worked itself off. An easy fix, but it scared the **** out of me before I found out what had caused it.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is not the plug but the coilpack.

you symptoms is 100% typical. Just buy a new one and replace it.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the insight guys...BTW does anyone know...

if the coilpacks are the same as the 12v V6 pre 98?

I have access to used coilpacks/wires etc from a 90 if needed.

BTW, I put in new plugs and it runs fine so far. Old plugs were not too bad looking. Unknown mileage however. Last time it was mentioned that they were changed in the paperwork was about 30k ago. I looked at them when I bought the car and they seemed ok and I palnned on changing them but never got around to it.

Hopefully this was caused by not letting the car run very long when I moved the car last night...that would be nice.

How much are coilpacks going for new?

Steve
Old 09-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Default One in a while my 2,7T would do this - I think the plug just fouls.

The longer it's been left, the more likely it is to do it. More than a week, it's likely to do it. Problem normally clears itself within 30s of start up. It could be your injectors are in need of a clean. Try moving the coilpack to another cylinder, and see if the code shifts cylinder too, before throwing money at it.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:06 PM

Default It wasn't clear if your engine has coil-on-plug design or not. My B5 Passat w/ 2.8L 30V engine has

single remote coil and plug wires; my 2.7t S4 has the coilpacks. Each coilpack is on the order of $65 or so, depending on where you get the part. Set of wires is like $150 for good quality set.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:08 PM

AFAIK, the A6 2.8 had coil on plug, the Passat 2.8 did not, to save money
Old 09-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Default I knew the VW version had some cost-cutting measures in it; wasn't sure how far back coilpaks were

used on the A6. Back in 2000, the Passat GLX was a smokin' deal, though. I said it was the best sub $30k car I had ever driven when my wife wanted (and got) one. Best car I have ever owned AFA reliability and performance for the $.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Our A6(98) has coil packs. I cleared the code and so far it hasn't returned.

Quick Reply: Cylinder #1 misfire...