A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Cylinder Head Is Off 1.9TDI- Overheating Problem - PICS inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Head Is Off 1.9TDI- Overheating Problem - PICS inside

2001 A6 AVANT 1.9TDI AJM ENGINE

due to my overheating problem i have removed the cylinder head, what an enormous job this is

anyway i have inspected the block surface and the head surface and both seem fine, i removed all the rubbish of with a flat scraper and rubbed it with scotch-brite. I checked flatness with a big engineers square and a 1.5 thou feeler (0.04mm), the block and the head seem flat enough ie within the 1.5 thou using the above method, granted the square does not go the full length of the head but it does indicate to me the head is not warped.

there is no signs of damage to the head gasket and no signs of coolant leaking at any point round the block i was looking for the brown water residue.

so could it be i just need to fit a new head gasket and put everything back together, is there anything else i should look for that could be causing the overheating ?

only thing i noticed when i dismantling was a hose to the oil cooler (i think it was the oil coller) was kinked, see below pic, also i could not get the hose clip off as it was down the back of the engine so i cut the hose, there is enought slack to re-use the orginal hose when refitting.

here is lots of pics of the head and block after i cleaned the surfaces

BLOCK IN CAR

Old 08-09-2009, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 154 Posts
Default I've never seen the 1.9L TDI engine, but those piston heads....

don't appear right. The middle two pistons look like some crumpled aluminum foil are on top of them, while the outer two psitons appear to have a large hole in them. Can you explain what is going on?

As far as over–heating, what was the condition of your thermostat? A bad thermostat can cause over (stays closed) or under (stays open) heating. Also, I would recommend re–using that shortened coolant hose as there was a reason for the apparent "slack" in it when it was designed.