A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Daimler-Chrysler-VW minivans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daimler-Chrysler-VW minivans?

Looks like VW finally tossed in the towel and is going to source minivan platforms from Chrysler. Pitiful that VW could not find another way to get there. It looks like they may even be made by Chrysler in the US.

<i>
DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group (DCXGn.DE) (NYSECX - news) and Volkswagen (VOWG.DE) said on Thursday that they have reached an agreement under which the U.S.-based carmaker will manufacture minivans for the German rival.

Production of the Volkswagen minivan, which is based on the next generation Chrysler and Dodge minivan platform, will begin in 2008, the companies said. The vehicle will be sold in the North American market.

"Although the Volkswagen minivan shares its basic architecture with upcoming Chrysler and Dodge vehicles, this will be an all-new product," Wolfgang Bernhard, chairman of the VW Brand Board of Management, said in a statement.

"With this new vehicle, we are going to enter another important market segment with our own product," he added.

The minivan would plug a gaping hole in Volkswagen's line-up. Analysts estimate it could result in up to 50,000 units in added annual sales.

Volkswagen expects sales for its flagship VW brand to grow 5 percent to 10 percent in the United States in 2006 for the first time in six years, boosted by its rejuvenated model line, after falling 12 percent in 2005.

Volkswagen has been lagging in the United States, the world's biggest auto market, due to an aging product range and a strong euro. The last time the VW brand notched higher annual sales was in 2000. </i>
Old 01-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Do you think they really believe that stuff?

"Although the Volkswagen minivan shares its basic architecture with upcoming Chrysler and Dodge vehicles, this will be an all-new product,"

Oh, I see. So it will be a Chrysler body with a different grill and badging. Sounds "all-new" to me!

"Volkswagen has been lagging in the United States, the world's biggest auto market, due to an aging product range and a strong euro."

Blame it on the Euro! No mention of the bazillions of coil pack failures that killed VW reliability rates and drove buyers (including even the old skool loyalists) into the arms of Honda.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"flagship VW brand"........lol
Old 01-05-2006, 10:39 AM
RSC
AudiWorld Senior Member

I smell another Phaeton
Old 01-05-2006, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Great. A vehicle with no shared parts. I'm sure it'll be wonderful. &lt;eyeroll&gt;
Old 01-05-2006, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey! Don't forget about window regulators and control arms!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

&lt;sigh&gt;
Old 01-05-2006, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like the dreaded Saab 9-7 or 9-2.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'd buy one.....wifey has 2005 Pacifica...and we really like it...

.....but I really wanted the DCX Town/Country limited or Toyota Sierra.

In the end, the Pac was $31K and we custom ordered it with:
- DVD nav
- bluetooth
- Sirius
(basically loaded)

The Pac is really well appointed...but again...it was hard to spend $31K on a Chrylser product.

I only have two kids (3 1/2 and 8 mos)...but if we have a 3rd or 4th...a minivan will need to be our next option. You can't beat the accessability with the side doors for carpooling kids etc. Eventually, most of us (with more than one kid) will have to suck it up and get a minivan.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:00 AM

Default Caravan-size vehicles are not a big segment outside North America.

So for VW to enter the category here without a partner, they'd have to expend major resources for a relatively small volume of niche vehicles. A better question would be why couldn't they utilize the Passat platform.

With the engineering synergy of the Benz/Chrysler marriage just starting to bear fruit, the new miniman platform will likely be a good one. Add VW ride/handling dynamics and higher grade materials/interiors and it could be a very nice niche vehicle. Or not.

Quick Reply: Daimler-Chrysler-VW minivans?