A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Das Beast, 3.0T Conversion Update. Dawn of Darkness Draws Near; Something Wicked This Way Comes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not one of the parts you just mentioned helps make power.

Rods, rings, pistons, fuel system all SUPPORT more power, but they alone do not make more power. I'm not saying anything negative about your car. No need to be defensive. I'm just saying I think the 900 HP estimate is optimistic.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. talk about a sleeper.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:21 PM

I hear ya.. : )
Old 10-10-2007, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hello Clark Kent!!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Would love to see an ongoing periodic progress report on this amazing feat of modding,

to see how it all works out and what tweaks (if any) were eventually needed. If it all works out and you think it would be worth doing again, this would make a killer write-up!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 PM

There will be 'more to come'... There's still a lot of work left to be done on the interior, too.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:56 PM

Those are stock RS4 tires. Too small OD and not wide enough... just temp
Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 PM

LOL!!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Just replying to your comment that "the only things not stock are the turbos and exhaust'. not true.

Fuel pressure definitely makes more power, btw. Takes lots of pressure to output a large but precise delivery. Injectors are worthless without enough pressure.

Boost and fuel and timing make power.

Beyond that, the rods and pistons, in addition to the custom bore and 3.0L crank create the increased capacity which quite directly create more power.

It all works together, and all of those parts have been customized or custom-created to add ability to develop power.

Almost nothing in the drivetrain is 'stock' anymore. If it wasn't custom ordered from the aftermarket, it was customized along the way to allow more flow, and thus create more power. Of all the factory components involved, only the 3.0L crank was NOT modified in any way, except for being stuffed into a bored 2.7L block...

And I have nothing to be defensive about, I'm just keeping the facts straight. Your assertion that 'the only things not stock are the turbos and exhaust' is factually incorrect. Given the number of people who seem to be reading this post, I feel a certain amount of responsibility to at least keep the facts straight in so far as I know them.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stasis has a shock dyno. How about something custom?

We absolutely love the F355. It's not for everyone, being a bit of a hair shirt in that nose clearance is a real issue, and service intervals are short. But we are used to that;-) The ride comfort is astounding. Handling is go-kart in all the best ways. Power off the line is nothing to write home about, but once the tach passes 5000rpms, it's F1 noises all the way babeeee! I live for tunnels and concrete walls Luggage room is actually quite good, with room for a full sized ice chest, a couple of grocery bags, and a big blanket in the front trunk. For short folks like us, a couple of folding camp chairs fit behind the seats, along with some smaller soft bags.

I've had the Gallardo (both stick and E-gear) for several days in the past. Let's just say the stick is leagues better. No room for luggage, or we would have gotten that instead of the F355. The deeper sound of the F430 does not appeal so much to me. Although the handling has improved, I actually found myself liking the R8 better when I drove it at Sears Point. In fact we will be sharing ownership of one with a good friend come next Spring.

We aren't looking for the RS4 Cab to be the be all and end all. Just a good competent daily driver that can deliver thrills on demand, but not be too demanding itself. The S4 Cabs we've rented in the past have been a good intro.

My Audi dealer gave me a non-S Cayman as a loaner for several days. Engine note not so special until you start to wind it out. Suspension and brakes sublime when cranking it on. But as a daily driver, I would have to pass. The ride harshness was totally unacceptable on freeway hop and expansion joints. Up in the hills I wasn't paying attention, but around town the suspension would move so much as to displace air inside the car and create a slight cavitation much like leaving the sunroof open on an Audi at speed. The Ferrari is far smoother despite a much older suspension design and only 1 inch longer wheelbase. I was amazed and disappointed that Porsche missed the boat, given that most Caymans will see commuter duty. Obviously a Boxster has a soft top and the cavitation shouldn't be so much an issue.

I would be a bit afraid of so much power (especially torque) in a tall, simple, leaf spring, short wheelbase Jeep.

Quick Reply: Das Beast, 3.0T Conversion Update. Dawn of Darkness Draws Near; Something Wicked This Way Comes...