A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Dashboard shows all gears instead of one engaged..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard shows all gears instead of one engaged..?

hello all!..

Weird? Help?

I had the valve gaskets replaced, by a non-Audi shop, but figured, perhaps stupidly he could do this. Valve cover gaskets don't really require the expertise of an Audi mechanic, but now, with new problems, maybe i was stupid to assume this.

First, they didn't top off oil, dumb. Second, he didn't connect the coolant overflow connector to the bottom of that unit, both simple fixes, but still...(Ok, so he was like 1/2 what my Audi shop wanted and had it been more complex, i would have gone there!)

But, now, when i start the car, ALL the gears display, not just the one engaged, and it doesn't change when i push it into manual. The display just displays the entire set from PRD123, and while it could be my imagination, it doesn't feel like it's shifting correctly. THe +/- lights do light up when i put it in manual.

So, any help would be immensely helpful. As ALL the shop did was replace the top valve cover gaskets and replace a duct taped (I DID NOT DO THIS! ) PCV connector. So, the obvious thought is he missed another connector that tells the computer what gear is engaged, but I have no idea.

Clues anyone?

Car is a 1999 A6 Avant.

Thanks!
Marty
Old 08-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Car is in limp mode. Stop driving it until you figure out why. Did it rain hard while the car was at the shop? Did they wash the engine for you?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

hi.. it's rained a few times.. and they said they used some cleaner to remove excess oil off the block.

what's next? And is it safe to drive it 2 miles or so back to the shop and can a non-audi shop fix it?

and last, are they responsible for this?

thanks

marty
Old 08-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Guru

Take the TCU out from under the carpet on the passenger's side (STFA), open the case, and dry it out thoroughly. Car should be fine. I would not even turn on the key until the TCU is dried out.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

whoa.. english please.. and i did drive it today.. did i damage anything? and did the shop cause this?

thanks
marty
Old 08-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Guru

You have water coming into the car, probably through the cowl. The drain under the battery is plugged or the cover over the fresh air intake for the cabin is askew.

Maybe you damaged something, maybe not. Dry it all out and see what happens.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

4D4..

thanks for the incredible info.. i'll check it out tomorrow, although im tempted to run a spot light and do it now.. !

Would this explain why i seem to smell excessive fumes coming into the car?

i've asked my dealer about that 3 times and each time they said they couldn't find anything. but if water is clogging stuff up, would it cause fumes to back also?

thanks again!
marty
Old 08-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Tech Guru

Smell and fumes are cam adjuster seals leaking...probably mis-diagnosed as valve cover gaskets.

Last edited by 4Driver4; 08-27-2009 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi 4D4..

i talked to the dealer this morning, and he said the car isn't in limp mode since it's shifting thru all gears. He said limp mode is rev and 2nd and nothing else, so he said no to limp mode and tended to doubt the TCU was the problem. He wondered if a cable was unplugged when the valve gaskets were replaced, but i went back to the shop and we both looked at everything near tne valve covers and there's very little and nothing unplugged and nothing looks damaged.

He checked the battery compartment and under the cowling for signs of water blockage and everythings completely dry and there was only minimal debris in there so it doesn't appear to be a water problem.

At this point, we're pretty much stuck until I bring the car back to the dealer but he's booked til monday.

If you have any other ideas, i'm still game to go lookin!

It's just always the case isn't it? A simple repair turns into a much more expensive one!

thanks
marty
Old 08-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Guru

BS. The trans is in limp mode. Did you check the TCU for water?

Quick Reply: Dashboard shows all gears instead of one engaged..?