A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Dead A6 (P0321-Ign./Distributor Eng.Speed Inp.Circ Range/Performance)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PapatoeSC
RTnDL let me know if everything is ok with your car now ... i have the EXACT same car with 80k miles and having the EXACT issue but the diference is that my car is only giving me:

16815 - Warm Up Catalyst: Bank 2: Efficiency Below Threshold

and my mechanic menciones that it could be Engine Speed Sensor, but he did not want to change it because i was not geting that code and still to the day i am not geting it after almost 3 weeks with the issue.

so please let me know what happend and how much was it to see what my next step is going to be

thanks
Have you run the codes on it yourself? I found that when I used vag-com it didn't show me the code. Then I ran the codes using my phone (program called Torque used with android phone) and it allowed me to see pending codes. That code showed up there. You may be able to see the same thing with other cheap code readers.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PapatoeSC
RTnDL let me know if everything is ok with your car now ... i have the EXACT same car with 80k miles and having the EXACT issue but the diference is that my car is only giving me:

16815 - Warm Up Catalyst: Bank 2: Efficiency Below Threshold

and my mechanic menciones that it could be Engine Speed Sensor, but he did not want to change it because i was not geting that code and still to the day i am not geting it after almost 3 weeks with the issue.

so please let me know what happend and how much was it to see what my next step is going to be

thanks
Yes, I believe this has fixed my problem. It has not died again since I replaced the sensor. I didn't get a code until after I had the issue a few times and originally the code was P0321 and VAG-COM displayed it incorrectly. The first code was listed as:

- P0321 - Ign./Distributor Eng.Speed Inp.Circ Range/Performance

Then "auidfirst " informed me that code should have read this:

- 16705: Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal - P0321

When I pulled the codes again after the car died a few more times I had this code:

- 16706 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal - P0322

It does sound like you are having a very similar issue though. I would replace the sensor anyway if I were you just to rule out the possibility if nothing else. If your car still has the issue after that then just bring the sensor back and get your money back. It is not very hard to replace the sensor and most part stores have it for about $100 and even cheaper online. It may also have something to do with the code reader your mechanic is using as "frankinstyn" noted.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, if the Engine Speed Sensor does not fix your problem and you still only have the one cat code then you may want to check that o2 sensor. That code is triggered by the o2 sensor in your catalyst. I have the codes for both cats because I drilled out the pre-cats behind the turbos on my downpipes to eliminate the backpressure. These codes were not related to my issue and I am pretty sure "2.7Lturbo" was shaking his finger at me when I noted this but that is why I have those codes. You only have the one cat code so I am guessing you do not have aftermarket or drilled downpipes. I must confess my expertise relies more on turbojet fundamentals as I have a background as a jet mechanic but I would not expect an o2 sensor to cause this issue..... This is where the Audi Pros chime in (;