A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Dealer performed work on my car without my knowledge or consent

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer performed work on my car without my knowledge or consent

I had taken my 4.2 to Jim Ellis in Atlanta to have the front brakes replaced due to squelling. I returned to find out they had replaced to fuel sending units and did not tell me they were going to. Yes I was aware of the recall, but my car had nothing wrong with it and I chose not to have them replaced at this time. I had already spoken to the service writer at the dealership and asked if there would be any limit on when I could have them replaced. He said there is no time limit.

My first question is, can a service shop perform work on a car for any reason without notifying the owner.

Second, would the dealer be penalized $10,000 for not performing the recall work. This is the excuse I got. I spoke to the regional Audi rep for this area and she did not know of such a penalty for the dealer.

My concern in replacing something that is not broken is that other things may get messed up and that is exactly what happened. They managed to chip my rear door at some point during the repair. I found out they have to remove the back seat to access the fuel units.

Needless to say I am very upset with the dealer. I have been displeased with this dealer and Audi from the first day I bought the car. I have come to regret my purchase.
Old 09-12-2001, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You or a future owner could easily sue Audi for not performing recall work when your car

was readily available to them. Not sure about the penalty, but the lawsuit could be huge. The dealer should have explained that to you. Find another if possible.
Old 09-12-2001, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Was that the Ellis Audi dealership in Marietta?
Old 09-12-2001, 10:46 AM

It was Peachtree, but they are both just as bad.
Old 09-12-2001, 11:47 AM

Default You do not have the right to choose to not comply with a recall notice.

The recall work is manditory. There is nothing in the statue that allows an owner to opt out of a recall campaign.

And you thought you were born free...
Old 09-12-2001, 11:59 AM

Default Audi "Recommends the work" There is nothing that stats it is required..

Regarless they shold have enough respect for their customers to at least inform them they intend to do the work the first time the car is in their posession.
Old 09-12-2001, 01:00 PM

Default This is an odd complaint

"How dare you fix something that was broken???"

Complain to AoA if you feel the need, but just what do you want done? Do you want your old sensors reinstalled? What's the remedy you seek?
Old 09-12-2001, 01:49 PM

Default I have had 4 VWs, 4 Audis, 2 Fords, all of them that had recalls

outstanding were done without the dealer calling me when they were in for other service. That's in 3 different states. It's normal, get used to it.

If it really is something you don't want, then you need to tell the service people *in writing* every time you take the car in that you want to be called before any recall work is done.

- Tom
Old 09-12-2001, 02:01 PM

Re: Dealer performed work on my car without my knowledge, me too i also regretor consent
Old 09-12-2001, 03:56 PM
dpd

Default Re: Dealer performed work on my car without my knowledge or consent

a recall is a recall.you had scheduled a appointment with a audi dealer for a brake problem[safety issue].you told the service writer your complaint.the service writer did their job by properly checking with the AoA network and your vin showed that the lh recall was outstanding.it is the dealerships responsibility to make sure that car is safe[nhtsa follows ALL recalls{who do you think demands the recall}.if you left the dealership,ran out of gas inthe fast lane on the highway,got rear ended by a car doing 70mph,the dealer would be the first stop by the lawyer,second the manufacture,etc.trust me,the techs are the ones that are getting the raw on this one.we don't enjoy smellng and sticking our hands in gas 8 hours a day,but we do to make your car safe,so please,stop whining that we took your rear seat out[it pops out,no screws,even you could do it].if you don't like the car,that's another issue,don't blame the dealer,you bought it.also,i'm not aware of any fines for not performing a recall,but i know it's bail before jail.as a audi tech,i'm glad customers like you really appreciate what we do.thanks-----dpd

Quick Reply: Dealer performed work on my car without my knowledge or consent